UH Microsoft Windows 8.1 Update Information
Please see the Windows 8.1 Application Compatibility page for more details on these issues.
** ADVISORY **
- Information Technologys Services (ITS) fully supports Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 at this time.
- Internet Explorer (IE) is automatically updated to version 11 with Windows 8.1 (IE 11 is also available for Windows 7). IE 10 is available for Windows 7 and 8.0, but not Windows 8.1.
- McAfee has released VSE 8.8 with patch 4, certified for use with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. Active UH members can download this version here.
Windows 8 purchased under the UH Microsoft Licensing ProgramFor customers that have purchased and installed the Windows 8.0 License under the UH Microsoft Licensing Program, the Windows 8.1 Update is free. However, the update can NOT be downloaded through Microsoft's Windows Store. You will need to borrow the loan DVD or purchase the updated media from the ITS Site License Office. [Note: This update is not available as a download.]
Please call (808) 956-2404 to set up a pick up appointment at the UH Manoa campus or send an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request for the loan DVD to be sent by Certified Mail (off-campus and neighbor islands only).
The Windows 8.1 installer is available in 4 different sets:
- Windows 8.1 Professional 32-bit
- Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit
- Windows 8.1 Enterprise* 32-bit
- Windows 8.1 Enterprise* 64-bit
* The Enterprise version is available only for those who have purchased the Windows Enterprise Upgrade License or the Windows Pro/Ent Upgrade License with Software Assurance (SA).
REMEMBER to back up your data prior to applying the 8.1 update.
You will have the option to do an in place upgrade to Windows 8.1 (keeps your Windows settings, personal files, and applications) or reformat/reinstall the entire operating system. A new Windows 8.1 Activation Key must be requested from the ITS Site License Office to activate the 8.1 Update. The Windows 8.0 Activation Key you received with your original purchase will not work.
For computers that are NOT currently licensed or eligible for Windows 8.x, you have the option of purchasing the Windows Upgrade License under the UH Microsoft Licensing Program in order to move up to Windows 8.x.
Windows 8.1 Update VerificationIn addition to the installation of 8.1, please visit the Microsoft Windows 8.1 Update Page to verify you are running the latest version. Windows 8.1 PCs that have not installed the Windows 8.1 Update after June 10, 2014 will no longer receive new security updates.
Windows 8 Purchased Under OEM or RetailIf your computer has an OEM Windows Operating System (came preloaded with your computer) or if you purchased a retail version (boxed/shrink-wrapped from a store or online through Microsoft), you can download the Windows 8.1 Upgrade directly from Microsoft's Windows Store.
If you have any questions, please call the ITS Site License Administrator at (808) 956-5783 or email us at email@example.com.