UH Hard Tokens
Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is an extra layer of protection on top of your UH Username and password. When MFA is enabled, UH Login requires two factors for a successful login. The first factor is what we commonly do today, sign-in with the UH Username and password. The second factor requires authentication through a device (e.g. smartphone or landline) to login.
In certain cases, if the secondary authentication option is not feasible, a hard token (sometimes called an authentication or security token) is a hardware security device that is used to authorize a user. Hard tokens are not recommended and should be purchased only if you have no other means for authenticating.
- What is UH Login and MFA / FAQs: https://www.hawaii.edu/its/uhlogin/
- MFA methods: https://www.hawaii.edu/askus/1679
- Logging in with MFA: https://www.hawaii.edu/askus/1765
Hard Token Options
Yubikey USB-A: $45.00 each
|For USB-A ports / Designed for keychains / Crush-resistant, waterproof, no batteries or moving parts / Plug it in and touch the gold button or edge; no codes to type or apps to install / Use it on Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and Chrome OS for Chromebooks|
|For USB-C ports / Designed for keychains / Rugged, no batteries or moving parts / Plug it in and touch the gold button or edge; no codes to type or apps to install / Use it on Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and Chrome OS for Chromebooks|
- Tokens purchased outside of this program will not be accepted.
- Lost or damaged hard tokens will not be refunded or replaced.
- If a hard token under this program is lost, this should be reported to the ITS Help Desk immediately. After a 3-week period, if the token has not been found, it will be removed from the system and can no longer be reinitialized.
- Hard tokens can only be reassigned to another UH user with an official UH Departmental Memo. Reassignments can be requested through the ITS Help Desk.
- These MFA devices are export controlled and cannot be physically exported to embargoed countries. Please remove the soft-token from your device and/or leave the hard token at home when you are traveling to: the Crimea region of Ukraine, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan or Syria.
Ordering Instructions:By purchasing the hard token(s) under this program, the token user(s) understands and agrees to all terms listed on this website.
Inventory is limited. If purchasing (5) or more tokens, please contact the ITS Site License Office in advance to verify if the hard tokens are in stock.
- Complete and print the
UH Hard Token Order Form (requires
Adobe Acrobat Reader)
NOTE: If purchasing a single hard token by credit card, this form is not required. Proceed to Step #2.
- Payment (please submit originals only):
- UH Interdepartmental Order (FSO-30)
- RCUH Purchase Order
- UH Foundations PO (must be stamped as "Original" on the printed PO)
- Credit card payment (For single token purchases only. An Order Form is not needed if purchasing by credit card.)
- Check (personal check, money order, cashier's check)
- Make the check out to: University of Hawaii ITS
- Returned Check Fee: $25.00 fee for each returned check that has been returned from the maker's bank for any reason (e.g., insufficient funds, closed bank account, incorrect bank information).
Cash is NOT accepted.
NOTE: Tax and shipping fees are NOT needed.
Please use the address below for the UH IDO or RCUH PO Vendor Address.
- Drop off or send the completed UH Hard Token Order
Form and original Payment to the following address:
University of Hawaiʻi- ITS
Attn: Site License Administrator
2520 Correa Rd., ITC 5th Floor
Honolulu, Hawaiʻi 96822
- After ITS receives and processes your payment, the contact person listed on the order form will be sent an email confirmation. The user(s) listed on the form will need to have MFA enabled for their UH account. The requested hard token will be registered for the user in approximately 2-3 business days (Monday through Friday, excluding holidays). When the token is ready, the contact person can schedule a pick up appointment (UHM, ITC Bldg) or request to have it sent out by Certified Mail (US addresses only). Orders from the neighbor islands will automatically be sent by Certified Mail.
- For a brief guide on how to use a UH Hard Token, visit: https://www.hawaii.edu/askus/1765 (scroll down to the "UH Hard Token (Yubikey)" section).
- For purchasing questions regarding this program, please contact the ITS Site License Administrator at (808) 956-2404 or email@example.com.
- For the use of hard tokens, reporting lost tokens or reassignment requests, please contact the ITS Help Desk.