The Information Technology Services (ITS) has signed an angreement with VMware to provide qualified faculty, staff and students (see Guidelines below) at UH to download and use VMware software free of charge. The free single use licenses provided through this program may be used for instruction and non-commercial research ONLY. Infrastructure use is NOT permitted.
- Instructional use is defined as conducting educational classes, labs, or related programs for teaching or learning concepts related to the products that are part of this program.
- Research use is defined as conducting not-for-profit research projects.
- Infrastructure use is defined as use of software as a part of the institution's or department's infrastructure that's not intended for specific classroom instruction or research project
Available Software Titles
VMware Fusion (Mac)
VMware Workstation (Linux)
VMware Workstation (Windows)
VMware ESX vSphere Advanced
vCenter Server Standard
vCenter Server Lab Manager||X
- This program is available to qualifying departments in fields of science, technology, engineering and math.
- Science: Hard Sciences, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, etc.
- Technology: Design, Networking, Computer Science, etc.
- Engineering: All engineering departments
- Math: All Math departments
- All licenses provided are for teaching/training/research purposes only (i.e. non-production).
Faculty/Staff/Students should only be using the licenses for the outlined purposes. A staff member, for instance, should NOT be using the titles for day to day admin tasks. For IT and other infrastructure use, the entire suite of VMware software can be purchased at a special discounted price through standard VMware commercial sales channels.
- Licenses provided are good for 365 Days.
Faculty & Staff are able to renew their licenses after 1 year. However, students are NOT eligible for a renewal. Students are given the option to purchase their license at an academic discount from the
VMware Academic Store online, the UH Bookstore or any retail store.
For detailed information on acceptable and unacceptable use, please visit the
VMware Usage Guideline.
Read through the EULA for the VMware Academic and Research Program (“Academic EULA”)
How to request for Free VMware Software
NOTE: By requesting the software from ITS, you agree that you have read, understood and will abide by the VMware usage rights and VMware EULA.
- Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Full Name
- Email address
- UH Affiliation (Faculty, Staff or Student)
- Department Name (Fac/Staff) or Field (if student)
- Brief description of use
- Once approved you will receive a unique "Account Identifier Key" via email.
- Go to the UH ITS VMware Page
- Click the Register button if you have not registered before.
- Enter the Account Identifier Key that you received from ITS
- Enter your contact information
- Choose the products that you wish to download
If you are interested in installing VMAP software in a lab environment, this can be done for a nominal fee. Please call 956-5783 for details.
Discounted Academic Licenses are available through the VMware Academic Store:
- Organizations directly related to the UH (e.g. teaching hospitals), etc.
- UH student or member of the faculty/staff that do not qualify for the Academic Program are eligible for certain desktop products
- Use in the IT department or other infrastructure departments
Please read the Terms and Conditions for more information.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call (808) 956-5783 or
email us at email@example.com.