Declaring Your Major in SLS

How to declare your major in Second Language Studies

We encourage you to meet with an SLS advisor, to talk about your interests and goals, to learn more the SLS major and about the possible careers and directions you can follow with a degree in SLS.  This will help you to make an informed decision about your major.  Once you’re sure, it’s pretty easy to declare a major, change majors, or double-major, but the process is a bit different depending on when you declare SLS as your major, and how.

Declaring a major when you apply for admission

When you fill out the online admissions application form, you have a question that asks you to choose a major.  From the drop-down menu, select “Second Language Studies”.

Declaring or changing your major to SLS after you’re already a student at UH Manoa

  1. Make an appointment with an advisor in the Second Language Studies Department to discuss your interests and possible career plans, the requirements of the SLS major and course selection.
  2. Fill out and print two copies of the Major Declaration Form.  Note that you fill out the Page 1 and your SLS advisor fills out Page 2.
  3. Turn in one copy to the service counter for Arts & Sciences Student Academic Services located at Queen Lili’uokalani Center for Student Services, Room 113 (QLC 113), and the other copy to the Admissions & Records office (QLC 001).

Double-majoring in SLS

Undergraduate students who would like to double-major in SLS and another field of study will need to include a short statement of purpose and evidence of academic planning along with their declaration form. For more details, see an SLS advisor.