↑ Return to Graduate

Master of Arts

MA in SLS Program

The MA Program in SLS at the University of Hawai‘i has been in existence since 1961. The Department of Second Language Studies is the first and one of the largest such departments at an American university. The Department has attained top-ranked international recognition due to the diverse expertise and professional activities of its faculty, the …

View page »

MA Admissions

Starting July 1, 2018, all supplemental materials and letters of recommendation must be submitted via the Graduate Application Supplemental Materials Upload Website. See complete instructions on this page. How to Apply   APPLICATION DEADLINES Fall Semester Enrollment Spring Semester Enrollment Master of Arts in Second Language Studies January 1 Early Notification March 1 Regular Deadline September 1 …

View page »

Financial Support for MA Students

On a very limited basis, GAships in the ELI or HELP, lectureships in the ELI, or casual-hire positions in HELP can be awarded to MA students. Casual-hire positions, lectureships, and 0.25FTE GAships do not include a tuition waiver or health benefits. The availability of positions depends on departmental needs and funding, and can be offered …

View page »

BA+MA Pathway

The Department of Second Language Studies offers a BA+MA Pathway that helps students earn a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in just 5 years. Effective for Fall 2018 admittance, the pathway allows BA students in SLS to double-count 9 credits towards both a BA and an MA in the Department of Second Language Studies, including …

View page »

Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified (PBU) Applicants

A University category of admission is that of a Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified (PBU) student, for students not admitted to any advanced degree program. Unclassified students sometimes enroll in SLS graduate courses (if there is space), and sometimes they later apply to the MA program. PBU students applying to the MA in SLS degree program are subject …

View page »

Summer Session

It is possible to take courses during the summer without having been admitted to the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. Application materials are usually available in mid-March on the Outreach College Summer Session homepage: http://www.outreach.hawaii.edu/summer/default.asp It is not possible to pursue an MA in SLS by taking summer courses only. Admission to Summer Session does …

View page »