Each year the School invites a senior-level, often recently retired, executive to teach a course on management strategy. This Executive-in-Residence program gives both students and faculty the opportunity to work closely with a top business leader.
The objective of the program is to build a true strategic relationship between School of Accountancy of the Shidler College of Business and the business community. And to enhance the educational programs in the School of Accountancy of the Shidler College of Business by enriching the learning environment of both undergraduate and graduate students and fostering research ideas for faculty and graduate students. The program is also intended to provide faculty and staff involved in outreach activities with new ideas and perspectives on how to serve the business community.
The Fall 2004 and Spring 2005 Executive-in-Residence is Mr. Henry Montgomery, the founder and chairman of Montgomery Professional Services Corporation. Montgomery brings more than 40 years of financial and corporate management experience into his classroom. He currently serves as chairman and audit committee member of Swift Energy Company and chairman of the board and audit committee chairman of Catalyst Semiconductor, Inc. Montgomery is also on the Board of Directors of QuickLogic Corporation. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from Miami University in Ohio.
WHY PARTNER WITH SOA?
School of Accountancy (SOA) and the Shidler College of Business of the University of Hawaii at Manoa have had a long history of being responsive to the business community. The SOA, the Shidler College of Business and its programs have benefited from both financial and educational contributions of the Hawaii professional community and these contributions have continued to grow every year. Partnering with the SOA of the Shidler College of Business will further enhance this partnership.
PARTNERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES: (adopted from Seattle University)
Intern, mentor and work/study programs—gives students a real world environment and experienced advice and companies a chance to work with high potential students and prospective future employees
Job placement—provides students better access to the job market and gives business partners an inside track to some of SU’s best and brightest students
Participating executives may:
- Guest speakers—brings business world experiences to the classroom and gives executives a chance to give back and promote the company to future employees
- Teaching and Co-teaching arrangements—provides a powerful classroom experience and further promotes aligning the university and the business community both at undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Class projects—gives students the opportunity to solve real world problems and gives business additional energy around an issue
- Applied research—provides business with needed insight into a business problem and gives faculty an opportunity to conduct their research and apply their knowledge in a specific area
- Guest lecture series—financial support to bring world-class business leaders to campus gives students and faculty the chance to hear business leaders views on the world today
- Consulting—engagements for faculty ranging from meeting facilitation to training targeted to specific businesses to full consulting efforts (process reviews, design of new systems, etc) strengthens the faculty skill levels and gives them additional experiences to bring back to the classroom while at the same time helps solve a specific need in a particular business
- Continuing education—provides the business partner with an internationally accredited business institution to advance professional development of key employees
- Curriculum review—further ensures that the business school is offering relevant learning experiences to students and the business community is getting well trained future employees
- Meet with Alumni—further ensures that the business school continues to include its alumni beyond their educational experience at the University.
For more information about the SOA’s Executive in Residence program, please contact:
School of Accountancy
Shidler College of Business
University of Hawaii at Manoa
2404 Maile Way
Honolulu, HI 96822
Phone:  (808) 956 7332
Fax: (808) 956 9888