Colette Browne, DrPH
Henke Hall Rm. 137
Website: Visit the Ha Kupuna Website at: http://manoa.hawaii.edu/hakupuna/
Dr.PH., Public Health, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, Honolulu, Hawai'i. John Burns School of Medicine, Office of Public Health.
M.P.H., Public Health, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, Honolulu, Hawai'i. John Burns School of Medicine, Office of Public Health.
M.S.W., Social Work, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, Honolulu, Hawai'i. School of Social Work.
M.S., Educational Psychology, University of Massachusetts.
B.S., Social Sciences, Monmouth College, New Jersey.
Gender Migration, Globalization, and the Long Term Care Workforce
Resiliency Models and Aging
Social Work Practice with the Aged
Gerontology Social Work Education Models
Social Policy and Aging
Qualitative Research Methods in Aging
Books/Encyclopedia/Book Chapters (2006 - present)
- Browne, C. (2012). Gender, globalization, and eldercare work. In I. Ness (ed.), Encyclopedia of Global Human Migration. Wiley-Blackwell, London, England.
- Browne, C. (2007). Cultural competence and aging. Encyclopedia of eldercare, M. Mezey, G. Giegler, and L. Capezuti (Editors). New York: Springer.
- Browne, C., Braun, K., & Arnsberger, P. (2007). Filipinas as Residential long-term care providers: Influence of cultural values, structural inequity, and immigrant status on choosing this work. In C. Tompkins and A. Rosen, (Eds.), Fostering social work gerontology competence: A collection of papers from the First National Gerontological Social work Conference (439-456). New York: Haworth (Simultaneously co-published as Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 2006,48, 2007.
- Browne, C., & Richardson, V. (2006) Social work practice with older adults: Other minorities. In B. Berkman and A. Ambruoso, Editors, The Oxford Handbook of social work in aging (pp.301-309). Oxford University Press.
Journals (Refereed) (2006 - present)
- Nishita, C., Browne, C. (2013). Advancing research in transitional care: Challenges of culture, language and health literacy in Asian American and Native Hawaiian elders. Journal of healthcare for the poor and underserved, 24, 404-418.
- Kaopua, L., Braun, K., Browne, C., Mokuau, N., Park, CB. (2011). Why are Native Hawaiians underrepresented in Hawaii's older adult population? Exploring social and behavioral factors of longevity. Journal of Aging Research, July, #701232.
- Kimura, J., & Browne, C. (2009) Eldercare in a Filipino community: Older women’s attitudes toward service use. Journal of Women and Aging, 21, 229-243.
- Browne, C., Mokuau, N., & Braun, K. (2009) Adversity and Resiliency in the Lives of Native Hawaiian Elders. Social Work, 39, 252-259.
- Mokuau, N., Browne, C., Braun, K., & Choy, L. (2008) Using a community-based participation approach to create a resource center for Native Hawaiian elders. Education for Health, 20, 3, 1-10.
- Choy, L., Mokuau, N., Braun, K., & Browne, C. (2008). Engaging the community to establish Ha Kupuna: National Resource Center for Native Hawaiian Elders. Journal of Native Aging, 3,1, 5-12.
- Browne, C., & Braun, K. (2008). Globalization, women’s migration, and the long-term care workforce. The Gerontologist, 48, 1, 16-24.
- Browne, C., & Mokuau, N. (2008). Preparing students for culturally competent practice with ethnic minority elders. Journal of Educational Gerontology, 34, 306-327.
- Browne, C., and Braun, K. (2008). Immigration and the direct-long-term care workforce: Implications for policy and education. Journal of Gerontology and Geriatrics Education. 29, 2, 172-188.
- Browne, C., Braun, K., & Arnsberger, P. (2006). Filipinas as residential long term care providers: Influence of cultural values, structural inequity, and immigrant status on occupational choice. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 48, 1/2.
Technical Reports, Monographs, and Research Papers (2004 - present)
- Browne, C., Mokuau, N., Braun, K., Kaopua, L., Higuchi, P. (2011). Listening to the voices of Na Kupuna and Ohana Caregivers in Hawaii. Honolulu: Ha Kupuna.
- Braun, K., Mokuau, N., Browne, C. (2010). Life Expectancy, Morbidity, and Health Practices of Native Hawaiian Elders: A Review of Hawaii Surveillance Data. Honolulu, HI: Ha Kupuna National Resource Center for Native Hawaiian Elders.
- Braun, K., & Browne, C. (2008). Filipino care workers in Hawaii: Developing community-based options to nursing homes. In Transnational Care Studies (pp. 102-108). Fukuko, Japan: Kyushu University Asia Center.
- Browne, C., Mokuau, N., Braun, K., & Choy, L. (2008). Assessing the health and long-term care needs of Native Hawaiian elders and caregivers: Results from key informant interviews in Hawaii. Honolulu: Ha Kupuna, National Resource Center for Native Hawaiian Elders.
- Browne, C., & Wong, H. (2004). From the Voices of Elders: What is a Gerontological Social Worker?” Transcripts from a Study on Gerontological Social Work Curricula and the Voices of our Elders. University of Hawai’i School of Social Work.
Research, Grants, and Contracts (2006 - present)
DHHS/Administration on Aging - 2006-2015
National Center for Native Hawaiian (NH) Elderly
Develop infrastructure for Center, develop applied research program in NH elders
Role: Co Investigator, Associate Director 2006-2011, Principal Investigator 2011-2015
Invited Consultant and Testimony (2006 - present)
|1||2007||Executive Office on Aging, State of Hawai’i. Consultant, research for SCR 115 related to aging programs.|
|2||2006||Montana Geriatric Education Center, Missoula, Montana. Healthy Aging. November.|
|3||2006||Long-term care need in Hawai’i and the role of the Veterans Administration- A testimony to the Committee on Veterans Affairs, Senator Larry Craig, Chair. January.|
Presentations at International and National Conferences (2006 - present)
|1||2013||Browne, C, Braun, K., A Focus Group Research with Native Elders. APM, American Society on Aging, Chicago. April|
|2||2012||Browne, C. Elder and ʻOhana Long-term Care Service and Support Needs in Hawaiʻi. Aha Kupuna Conference, Maui, Hawaii. October 13, 2012.
Hosted by: Department of Human Services and the Office of Hawaiian Affairs.
|3||2012||Browne, C., Mokuau, N., Braun, K., Kaʻopua, L. Qualitative Research Strategies with Ethnic Minority Elders. Hawaii Pacific Gerontological Conference, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi September 10 and 11, 2012.|
|4||2012||Browne, C. . Current Research on Regional Population Aging and Longevity. Chengmai, Hainan, China, The 2nd International Symposium on Population Aging and Longevity. September 5-7, 2012.
Hosted by the Peoples Government of Hainan Province China Association for Social and Economic System Analysis Research Northeast Asia Economic Forum Civil Affairs Bureau of Hainan Province
|5||2012||Browne, C., Mokuau, N., Braun, K., Kaʻopua, L. Assessing long-term care needs of indigenous elders: The Case of Native Hawaiians. 21st Nordic Conference in Gerontology. Copenhagen, Denmark, June.|
|6||2012||Browne, C., Braun, K. Qualitative research methods with Racial/Ethnic Eleders. APM, American Society on Aging, Washington, DC.|
|7||2011||Browne, C. Cross cultural needs assessment: The Case of Native Hawaiian Kupuna and their Caregivers. Columbia University School of Social Work, New York City, November.|
|8||2011||Browne, C., Braun, K., Nishita, C., Mokuau, N., Kaʻopua, L., Higuchi, P. Social and health disparities among elders in Hawaii: Implications for health literacy. APM, Gerontological Society of America, Boston, November.|
|9||2011||Browne, C., Mokuau, N., Braun, K. Assessing elder long-term care service and support needs in a multicultural community. APM, American Society on Aging, San Francisco, April.|
|10||2011||Browne, C., Nishita, C. The Role of diversity and health literacy in long-term care: Does culture matter? APM, American Society on Aging, San Fransisco, April.|
|11||2011||Browne, C., Mokuau, N., Braun, K. Assessing Native elder and caregiver long-term care needs. Administration on Aging Title VI Technical Assistance Conference, Washington, DC, August.|
|12||2011||Browne, C., Braun, K., Carlile, L. Aging in Asia and the Pacific Region: Highlights of regional trends, responses and global directions. Sakamaki Extraordinary Lecture Series, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, July.|
|13||2010||Braun, K., Browne, C., & Mokuau, N. APHA. Health disparities among elders in Hawaii. Denver, November 2010.|
|14||2010||Browne, C., Braun, K., Cheang, M., Masaki, K., Pietsch, J., & Yancura, L. Gerontology at UH-Manoa: Taking the Lead in Reseach and Education. Hawaii Pacific Gerontological Society, Honolulu, Hawaii, October 2010.|
|15||2010||Browne, C., Mokuau, N., Braun, K. Kupuna in Hawaii: Giving and Receiving Care. AoA Office of American Indian, Alaska Native, and Native Hawaiian Regional Title VI Training and Technical Assistance Forum, Denver, August 2010.|
|16||2010||Browne, C. Ha Kupuna: Undertanding the long-term care needs of Native Hawaiian elders. Hawaii Pacific Gerontological Society Quarterly Meeting, Maui, June 2010.|
|17||2009||Braun, K., Browne, C., Mokuau, N. Health disparities in elders in Hawaii. Gerontological Society of American, APM November 2009.|
|18||2009||Browne, C., and Braun, K. Immigrant care workers in Hawaii: Development of a socially just workforce. International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics Conference, Paris, France, June 2009.|
|19||2008||Browne, C., Braun, K., & Mokuau, N. Ola Pono na kupuna: Resiliency and adversity in the lives of Native Hawaiian elders. Presentation at the APM of the Gerontological Society of America, Washington, DC., November.|
|20||2008||Braun, K., and Browne, C. Filipino care workers in Hawaiʻi: Developing community options to nursing homes. Paper presented at the Transnational Care Conference, Kyushu University Asia Center, Fukuko, Japan, March.|
|21||2007||Browne, C., and Braun, K. Globalization, migration and the long-term care worker. Presentation at the APM of the Gerontological Society of America, San Fransicso, California, November.|
|22||2007||Browne, C., and Braun, K. Global restructuring, gender migration and implications for the education of the long term care workforce. APM of the Association for Gerontology I Higher Education (AGHE), Portland, Oregon, February.|
|23||2006||Browne, C. Promoting caring environments: Issues in the long-term care workforce. Paper and panel discussion. Active Aging International Conference, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi. February.|