Financial Aid

Applicants who are in need of financial assistance should seek it simultaneously from as many different sources as possible. This would include, but should not be limited to, the various forms of financial aid available through the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa Financial Aid Services Office and the Myron B. Thompson School of Social Work.

The best and most comprehensive forms of financial aid are often found through other public and private sources. Although the school makes every effort to distribute information about additional resources based on notices received, students and applicants should not rely upon this as their primary source of information.

The School of Social Work does not offer any graduate teaching assistant positions for MSW or PhD students at this time. Graduate research assistantships, when available, are posted on the UH employment website, Work at UH ( Further information about graduate assistantships can be found on the Graduate Division website at

Paid practicum/field placements andtraining stipends are sometimes available, and information on these opportunities is distributed to students by the School’s Practicum Office and/or Project Directors as it becomes available, usually during the school year.

UHM Financial Aid Services

The UH Manoa Financial Aid Services Office administers the University student assistance program, which includes federal work study, scholarships, grants, and loans. More information and application forms can be obtained by contacting the UHM Financial Aid Services Office by phone at (808) 956-7251 or by visiting their website at

University of Hawaiʻi Foundation - University of Hawaiʻi System Scholarship Search Site. Search for scholarships by name (keyword) or UH campus/Unit/Department.

Myron B. Thompson School of Social Work Administered Financial Aid

Applications for Myron B. Thompson School of Social Work administered financial aid are made through a common application form, available at the SSW Admissions Office, in application packets, and on the MSW Forms page. To ensure consideration for financial aid, the school's application form and all other application material must be received by February l .

Graduate Division Mānoa Achievement Awards are available for a limited number of full-time graduate students.

The Gaile M. Kurren Scholarship honors the memory of Gaile M. Kurren by awarding financial assistance to full-time, second-year graduate students intending to become social workers in the health care system.

The Betty Lyle Anderson Scholarship provides financial assistance to full-time second-year graduate students who have a career interest in community organization and planning.

Sally Kanehe Lampson Endowed Scholarship was established in recognition of the pervasive social problems resulting from colonialism and culturally repressive forces in Hawaiʻi and the Pacific region. It is hoped that research supported by this fund will encourage the exploration of effective and culturally sensitive social services to address these problems. Recipients must be enrolled either full-time or part-time in the masters or doctorate programs at the School of Social Work. Preference shall be given to doctoral students. Recipients must demonstrate leadership capabilities and plan to be involved in regional research in Hawaiʻi and the Pacific Basin.

The Hoa Hana Scholarship provides financial assistance for students commuting from neighbor islands to complete their education at UH Mānoa Myron B. Thompson School of Social Work. Applicants must be full-time, degree candidates who currently reside on a neighbor island and express, in writing, an intention to practice in the field of social work on a neighbor island, once they have graduated. In addition to the financial aid application form, applicants must submit a short one-page narrative that addresses the manner in which they meet the eligibility requirements for the award, as well as proof of residency on a neighbor island.

School of Social Work Alumni & Friends Endowed Scholarship was established to provide financial assistance to students committed to providing social work services to Hawaii, the Pacific and/or Asia. Applicants may be full or part-time.

Hoʻola ʻIa O Na Kupuna ʻIhi Scholarship (Preserving the Elders) assists qualified students in the Gerontology concentration of the MSW program. Recipients must be enrolled full-time or opart-time as MSW students at the School of Social Work. Candidates must be a declared Gerontology student, had taken or will register for SW 726: Practice w/ the Aged, and/or who will be registering for a 2nd year practicum in Gerontology.

Other Sources of Financial Aid at UHM

There are other sources of financial aid, usually in the form of tuition waivers, at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa campus. These include the following:

Multicultural Student Services seeks to:

  • Provide employment and educational support to UH Mānoa students who wish to tutor and advise public students;
  • Address the problem of under-representation of minorities in higher education by recruiting Filipinos and other ethnic groups to apply for admission to the University, and;
  • Provide retention services and coordinate special projects for minorities (e.g. Pre-Freshman Enrichment Project and Elementary Summer Program).

Write to: Multicultural Services:

University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
Queen Liliʻuokalani Center for Student Services 309
2600 Campus Road
Honolulu, Hawaiʻi 96822

International Student Services provides assistance in the administration of selected scholarship programs. Write to:

International Student Services
University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
Queen Liliʻuokalani Center for Student Services 414
2600 Campus Road
Honolulu, Hawaiʻi 96822

Additional Sources of Financial Aid

The American Association of University Women provides fellowships and grants for women in a number of different categories each year. These include fellowships for international applicants as well as for women who are seeking to re-enter the work force, a career change, or career advancement. Write to: AAUW Educational Foundation, llll 16th Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20036. Local applicants may also contact the Pacific Fellowship Committee, AAUW, Honolulu Branch, 1802 Ke'eaumoku Street, Honolulu, HI 96822.

The Barbara Alice Mower Memorial Scholarship offers grants for women residents of Hawaiʻi who are committed to using their education to help other women, especially women of Hawaiʻi. Scholarship is for use in graduate study or for undergraduate juniors and seniors. Amount: $3,000-5,000. Applicant must be enrolled or expecting to enroll full-time at a university, female, and resident of Hawaiʻi. Application Requirements: Application, essay, references, transcript. Deadline: May 1. Contact: Nancy A. Mower, 1536 Kamole Street, Honolulu, HI 96821; (808) 373-2901; E-mail:

The Japanese Women's Society of Honolulu awards a number of scholarships in gerontology each school term to graduate students who are interested in working with the elderly, and with the diseases and conditions common among the aged. For more information, contact The Center on Aging, University of Hawaiʻi, 1960 East-West Road, Biomed C-106, Honolulu, HI 96822.

The Hawaiʻi Community Foundation administers a number of scholarship funds that are primarily available to residents of Hawaiʻi. More information on each of the scholarship funds and application forms can be obtained by writing to SCHOLARSHIPS, Hawaiʻi Community Foundation, 900 Fort Street Mall, Suite 1300, Honolulu, HI 968l3.

Kamehameha Schools administers scholarships for graduate students of Hawaiian or part-Hawaiian ancestry through the Ke Aliʻi Pauahi Foundation Post High School Counseling and Scholarship Program. For more information and application forms, write to the main office at Kawaihao Plaza, 567 S. King Street, Honolulu, HI 96813 or call (808) 842-8216 or (800) 842-4682, ext. 8216.

The Native Hawaiian Health Scholarship Program is for graduate students of Hawaiian or part-Hawaiian ancestry. For more information, write to: Papa Ola Lokahi, Native Hawaiian Health Scholarship Program, 345 Queen Street, Suite 706, Honolulu, HI 96813 or call (808) 585-8944.

The East-West Center, a nonprofit educational corporation, awards a number of grants and fellowships each year directed toward fostering intercultural understanding and research on issues with international implications. Graduate social work students are eligible for grants and fellowships particularly through the Institute for Culture and Communication and the Open Grants Program. For more information and application forms, write to Award Services, East-West Center, 1777 East-West Road, Honolulu, HI 96848.