The Office of the President, in partnership with the Office of Sustainability, is finalizing the Executive Sustainability Policy, which will be presented at the 3rd Annual Hawaiʻi Sustainability in Higher Education Summit. This will guide each campus administration in the implementation of the recently adopted Board of Regents Sustainability Statement.
- Final BOR Sustainability Policy available here under Section C.4.
- See Ka Leo’s coverage of the adoption of the BOR Policy here.
The BOR Sustainability Statement was presented by the Office of Sustainability & the Student Sustainability Coalition of Hawaiʻi, and it was unanimously adopted at the Board of Regents meeting, January 23, 2014 (read meeting minutes here)
Next Steps for the UH System Initiative: revised 051013
Draft UH System Sustainability Policy: Revised draft 042913
Draft UH System Sustainability Implementation Strategy: Revised draft 042913
Presentation: Summit Outcomes Presentation to Council of Chancellors 050113
Summit 2013 Preparation Materials:
- Background Information - this document provides an overview of the activities that have led to the Summit and the purpose, particularly as it relates to the development of the UH Sustainability Policy. It also includes an optional reading list of additional resources and background materials if you’d like to be fully informed.
- Draft University of Hawaii Sustainability Policy - this is the draft policy that we will be working with on Friday, April 12th at the Summit during two facilitated policy development sessions.
- UH Sustainability Policy – Purpose, Outcomes, Structure, and Process Map - this document provides some context for what the policy is trying to achieve and how.
Additional Documentation and Resources:
- Sustainability in University of Hawaii planning documents, strategies, and policies
- The “Outcomes, Agenda, and Participants” from the Fall 2012 Sustainability Planning Session
- The “Draft Policy Framework, Structure, and Summit Proposal” – ideas generated at the Fall 2012 Sustainability Planning Session
- Examples of University Sustainability Policies
- Final Report from the 2009 UH Sustainability Workshop
The 2002-2010 University of Hawaii System Strategic Plan, “Entering the University’s Second Century“, identifies “malama ‘aina sustainability” as a commitment and core value.
The 2011-2015 University of Hawaii at Manoa Strategic Plan, Achieving Our Destiny, identifies sustainability as one of five core values.
The 2012 University of Hawaii at Manoa Energy Strategic Plan identifies over $66M in potential energy efficiency and renewable generation projects and energy savings of over $37M per year.
The University of California Policy on Sustainable Practices provides an example of a “system-wide” sustainability policy.