The 1st Annual Hawaii Sustainability in Higher Education Summit is a two day conference for policy planning and program sharing about sustainability initiatives in the University of Hawaii 10 campus system, and higher education colleagues at Hawaii Pacific University, Brigham Young University—Hawaii, and Chaminade University.
Being that we want to promote sustainability in all its facets, while our participants come from many different parts of our state, nation and the world, we are working to integrate sustainability into the operations of this summit in multiple ways. These efforts include:
– using this website and the listserv as much as possible rather than printing information for the participants
– encouraging carpooling (if you would like to join a carpool from one of the Oahu campuses, please Contact Us)
– food for all meals is provided by a local company using local ingredients as much as possible
– event banner reusable for future editions of the summit
– tablecloths made from local fabric are reusable for future editions of this summit or other events
– using reusable dishes and cutlery for all meals
– participants will receive donated bottles from a local company to refill during the event instead of handing out plastic bottles or cups
– use of digital documentation technology to share conference content with distance participants
– using Skype technology for keynote speaker who is located far away instead of flying her over.
Some ideas for future events:
– use recycled paper for printing
If you have ideas, recommendations or tried-and-true advice on how we can improve this aspect of the summit, please contact Daita Serghi