Adding a Dummy Student (scroll down through page for screen shots and step by step directions)
Adding a Dummy Student:
To begin this process create a junk email account using any of the FREE email services available, such as yahoo.com, hotmail or gmail (if you have one already jump to step 6 in this tutorial). Once you create a junk account, add that email to the course and use it to log in as a student.
NOTE: You only need this junk email to get the password needed to log in as a student, after which you can choose to delete the junk email account.
Create a "junk" email account
1. Open a browser and go to one of the several free email account sites (yahoo.com/hotmail or gmail), in this case I choose Google.com's free "gmail" service at http://google.com
Once at Google, select the text link for "Gmail"
2. On the right click the link for "Sign up for Gmail"
3. Fill in requested information such as your first/last name, a username, password...
4. Scroll down and continue with the form, click "I Accept, Create my account" button when done
5. Enter your new Gmail account by clicking on the text link for "I'm ready-show me my account"
6. Open a new browser window (File, New Window) and log into your Laulima account (https://laulima.hawaii.edu) using your regular UH username and password, select the course title in the blue menu bar in which you would like to add a dummy student into and select "Site Info" in the course menu
7. Within Site Info, use the menu bar and select the link for "Add Participants"
8. In the SECOND text block for "Guests" type in your entire junk email address (firstname.lastname@example.org/xxxx@hotmail or email@example.com), in my case I typed in my new Gmail email address: firstname.lastname@example.org, click the "Continue" button when done
9. Using the pull down menu under the header for Role, select "Student", click the Continue button when done
10. Confirm the radio button to send and email notice RIGHT AWAY is selected, then click "Continue"
11. Click the "Finish" button
12. IF you course is still "UNPUBLISHED" (there will be an unpublished notification on the upper left of the Course Menu if it is), then you will need to "PUBLISH" the site when you want to log in with this dummy student
To either Publish or Unpublish a site, in Site Info click on the text link for "Manage Access"
13. Select (to publish or allow student access) OR De-select (to unpublish or NOT allow student access) the checkbox next to "Publish site" and click Update
14. You will need to return to your junk mail account for the message sent from the course that will contain the password needed to log into Laulima as a student
15. Make sure you are logged OUT of your normal instructor account and log back in using your junk email address and the password sent to you, in my case I logged in with my junk email address as follows:
user id: email@example.com
Return to Main Tutorial Menu