Windows: Adobe Reader and Acrobat 9.x security Updates Available
|SUMMARY:||Windows: Adobe Reader and Acrobat 9.x security Updates Available|
|REPORTER:||Jocelyn E Kasamoto (jocelyn)|
|START TIME:||Dec 16 04:13 PM|
|END TIME:||Jan 16 04:13 PM|
Adobe released security updates for Adobe Reader and Acrobat 9.x for Windows (see APSB11-30). Two critical vulnerabilities (CVE-2011-2462, CVE-2011-4369) are being actively exploited in limited, targeted attacks in the wild. These vulnerabilities could cause a crash and allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.
Adobe Reader/Acrobat X are also affected by these vulnerabilities. However, Adobe Reader X Protected Mode and Acrobat X Protected View would prevent an exploit targeting these vulnerabilities from executing with "enhanced security" checked.
To verify Protected View in Adobe Acrobat X:
1. Open Adobe Acrobat.
2. Click Edit > Prefences > Security (Enhanced).
3. Ensure that "Files from potentially unsafe locations" or "All files" with "Enable Enhanced Security" are checked.
4. Click OK.
To verify Protected Mode in Adobe Reader X:
1. Open Adobe Reader.
2. Click Edit > Preferences > General.
3. Verify that "Enable Protected Mode at startup" is checked.
4. Click OK.
Adobe recommends that Adobe Reader/Acrobat 9.x users for Windows update to Adobe Reader/Acrobat 9.4.7.
Affected Software ==> Recommended Reader/Acrobat Update
Adobe Reader/Acrobat X (10.1.1) and earlier 10.x (Windows, Mac) ==> update to be released Jan. 10, 2012
Adobe Reader/Acrobat 9.4.6 and earlier 9.x versions (Windows) ==> Adobe Reader/Acrobat 9.4.7
Adobe Reader/Acrobat 9.4.6 and earlier 9.x versions (Mac) ==> update to be released Jan. 10, 2012
Adobe Reader for Android and Adobe Flash Player are not affected by these issues.
Adobe Reader/Acrobat 8.x is no longer supported by Adobe. Please upgrade to a newer version.
The next quarterly security updates for Adobe Reader and Acrobat are scheduled for January 10, 2012.
To Install the Update:
1. Open Adobe Acrobat (Reader).
2. Click Help > Check for Updates.
3. If an update is available, click the Download button.
4. When the download is completed, click the Install button.
5. When the installation is completed, ensure that all applications are closed. Click the Restart Now button (when prompted).
For More Information
http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb11-30.html (Adobe Reader and Acrobat)
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 956-8883, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 558-2669 toll free from the neighbor islands.