Search UHMFS

main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes of June 30, 2003

Contents

2. Vice Chair's Report
3. General Education Issues
4. Consultation Memo
5. Dormitory Issues
6. Other Business


Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes of June 30, 2003

Present: Janice Uchida, Roger Lukas, Thomas Schroeder, Frank Sansone, Thomas Hilgers, Meda Chesney-Lind, Jill Nunokawa, and Charlotte Mitsutani.

Vice Chair Schroeder called the meeting to order at 3:05 pm.

1. The minutes of the June 23, 2003 meeting were approved as submitted.

2. Vice Chair's Report

- MLT met on 6/24 to discuss budget. Different offices maintain data in different ways, and this is causing some confusion in the current budget exercise. The anticipated August conclusion of the budget process is now more likely to occur in October or November.

- Few regularly scheduled meetings between the Chancellor and groups are occurring, apparently because of summer conflicts.

- SEC meetings with the Chancellor on 6/25 and 7/9 have been canceled by the Chancellor's Office; the next scheduled meeting is 7/23.

3. General Education Issues

- Vice Chair for GEC appears not to have been nominated from the list of new senators, and SEC has not approved GE board member lists for next year.

- All Standing Committees of the Senate by policy should maintain minutes. SEC liaison will stress this when GEC meets in August.

- SEC chair will request that VCAA meet with SEC soon to discuss articulation. Chair will also discuss an early meeting with the new VPAA on UHM faculty concerns about articulation.

4. Consultation Memo

- A final text was approved and signed. The memo will be sent along with a copy of the UHMFS-approved position paper on consultation.

5. Dormitory Issues

- Five faculty members reviewed the physical condition of dormitories during June. They were generally appalled.

- UHM is apparently about $30 million behind in dormitory maintenance.

- Dormitory rental rates appear to be unusually low.

- Dormitory issues will be referred to CSF and CAB.

6. Other Business

- SEC chair will ask ASUH and GSO presidents to meet with SEC to share concerns.

- CAB will meet within the next week or so to review the proposed MS in Finance and the draft budget execution plan.

- An ad hoc committee (including some CAB and SEC members) was convened by the Manoa Vice Chancellor for Research to address apparent inconsistencies between the UHM and UH system RTRF policies. The definitions of "commitment of funds" and the amounts and procedures for carryover of RTRF across fiscal year boundaries were identified as needing modification. The issue of System allocation of funds to campuses was raised, as there is no policy regarding what the System "take" can be used for or how use is decided. It was suggested that all RTRF not allocated to units that raise these funds should be allocated based on processes that require explicit proposals that are vetted appropriately. Key issues are accountability and transparency.

- SEC members will be on call for possible 7/7 and 7/14 meetings.

The meeting adjourned at 4:46 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Thomas Hilgers

main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index