Present: Janice Uchida, Mary Tiles, Thomas Schroeder, Frank Sansone, Thomas Hilgers; Charlotte Mitsutani.
Chair Tiles called the meeting to order at 3:57 pm.
1. The minutes of the June 30, 2003 meeting were approved.
-BOR met on 7/10 and 11. Tiles attended on July 11 and reported her observations.
-MME met on 7/14. Topics included possible moves to support biotechnology research, a possible permission to plan biomedical engineering offerings, and the need to disseminate reports from the WASC Special Visit team and Commissioners.
-SEC added a name to the list of Senate nominees for the vice chancellor for research and graduate education search committee.
-A chancellor's office collection of budget-related data has been received by deans and directors. Many problems have been noted.
- The list of nominees prepared by the Committee on Faculty Service includes a potential GEC vice chair who is not a senator and is thus ineligible. Tiles will contact new senators about their willingness to serve; she will report to SEC.
- The list of GE committee and board members posted after the 5/12/2003 SEC meeting has errors. Tiles will contact the new webmaster to request corrections.
- Tiles will contact potential members for slotted positions on the Foundations Board. Mitsutani will contact nominees for the H, O, and W Boards about willingness to serve. Results will be reported to SEC.
- CAB chair Bley-Vroman on 7/9 sent the SEC three CAB memos of review and concern.
- The CAB review of the budget execution policy will be sent on to VC Sakaguchi.
- CAB's memo on the proposed MS in Finance will be sent to Chancellor Englert. Tiles's cover memo will note concerns with potential contract violations and overlaps with the charge to the Task Force on Educational Entrepreneurship.
- The CAB's concern with the recent interruption of federal mail service will be forwarded to VC Sakaguchi with copies to appropriate parties. The cover memo will note the request for investigation and report.
- The Chancellor is forming a SOEST Dean Search Committee. The processes of faculty consultation may be problematic since SOEST does not have a faculty senate.
Next meeting: 7/21, 3 p.m.
The meeting adjourned at 5:11 p.m.
Respectfully submitted, Thomas Hilgers