Search UHMFS

main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes of August 4, 2003

Contents

2. Chair's Report (Tiles)
     Articulation Task Force
     Public health issues
     Linda Cox to be GEC vice chair
     Faculty mentoring program
3. Reports from David Lassner, invited guest
     Banner funding
     Update financial management system
     Moving to paperless office
     Classified research
4. SEC 8/6 meeting with Chancellor

Present: Martha Crosby, Michael Forman, Thomas Hilgers, Roger Lukas, Frank Sansone, Thomas Schroeder, Mary Tiles, Janice Uchida, and Charlotte Mitsutani.

Chair Tiles called the meeting to order at 3:01 pm.

1. The minutes of 7/28/03 were approved.

2. Chair's Report (Tiles)

a. MLT met on 7/29/03. Discussions covered recent changes in UH Foundation operations and different scenarios for balancing the budget.

Articulation Task Force

b. The Council of Chancellors' Articulation Task Force held its final meeting on 7/30. Members agreed that efforts to describe "principles" to govern the revision of E5.209 were probably futile. The revision effort will instead be guided by faculty-to-faculty negotiations. In the meantime, the Interim Procedures for Articulation will be implemented. Tiles will discuss UHM faculty concerns over articulation with the Chancellor.

Public health issues

c. Chair and vice chair attended a meeting on Public Health issues at which mainland "experts" described ways in which a Public Health school at UHM might allow Hawai'i to participate in Homeland Security and related initiatives.

Linda Cox to be GEC vice chair

d. Senator Linda Cox is willing to be vice chair of GEC. SEC approved the appointment.

Faculty mentoring program

e. SEC has been asked to endorse an interim appointee to run the faculty mentoring program. Discussion involved not only the extent to which administration should control faculty mentoring, but also the need for short-term and long-term planning. SEC will ask CPM to guide long-term planning for all faculty development; VPAA participation will be sought. Tiles will convey SEC concerns about an interim appointment to VCAA.

3. Reports from David Lassner, invited guest

Banner funding

a. Banner funding: Lassner distributed a 6/3/03 memo from Lassner and Morton to Chancellors on the funding of Banner's establishment and maintenance. The $20M establishment cost is funded by a loan from collected UH bond revenues. Since bond revenues are maintained in revolving funds, revolving funds are involved in this arrangement. But Lassner knows of no non-bond revolving funds being used to fund Banner. Annual maintenance costs of $1M are covered by increases in tuition revenues.

Update financial management system

b. The campus must update its financial management system, and VPA/CFO Sloane is forming a Business Process Council to investigate alternatives and make recommendations by the first of next year. UH needs a system that will provide contracts and grants information, field purchasing, and financial information necessary for management. SEC will be consulted about membership of the Business Process Council.

Moving to paperless office

c. More efficient business processes are possible only if the campus allows paperless transactions. SEC will be asked to endorse efforts in that direction.

Classified research

d. UHMFS in 12/02 in principle approved suggested changes in BOR policy on classified research on campus. While consultations since December have raised new questions, resolution of certain issues is required now. SEC endorsed three courses of action: specifying "VPAA and/or VPR" for membership on the Classified Research Managerial group (to allow compliance with federal requirements); leave decisions on contractual restrictions on publication in the hands of individual PIs; and continue discussion on language for a BOR campus policy on classified research. SEC further noted that the fact that "Homeland Security" can make research "classified" ex post facto changes the picture; information on how peer campuses handle classified research would be useful.

4. SEC 8/6 meeting with Chancellor

Agenda SEC agreed to further discussion of five concerns identified by the Chancellor: Student life and student advocacy; distance learning; graduate education; the Academy for Creative Media; and becoming a Hawaiian place of learning.

5. Committee reports-none

6. Other business

a. Schroeder reported that the Chancellor is working to secure full consultation with units affected by the UARC proposal.

b. A SEC planning session will begin on 8/11 at 10:00 a.m.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 5:52 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Thomas Hilgers


main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index