Communicate with the Senate
Present: Denise Antolini, Meda Chesney-Lind, Martha Crosby, David Flynn, Michael Forman, Frank Sansone, Mary Tiles, and Charlotte Mitsutani.
Chair Mike Forman called the meeting to order at 3:12 pm.
1. The minutes of the meeting of 1/27/03 were approved as corrected.
2. Chair's Report - Meetings attended included the following: NCAA visit (Mike was asked about costs and Title XI effects), articulation meeting with Tom Hilgers, Peter Englert's meeting with OSA staff, Manoa Management Executive meeting.
Two reps are needed for the University Articulation Committee. Possible members are Jeanie Oka, Sandy Davis, Katherine Sophian, David Stegenga, and Karen Jolly.
3. Committee Reports
GEC - Martha reported that the GEC will be holding a meeting on Wed, February 12, 3 pm to bring Manoa faculty up to speed on articulation issues in preparation for the system-wide articulation meeting the following Saturday.
4. Old Business
Election Roster Error - Data on who was misidentified as ineligible for election to the Faculty Senate need to be obtained from CFS. These faculty will be asked if they wish to be nominated for election; if so, their names will be added to the ballots.
Manoa Budget Advisory Committee - Frank reported that the meeting last Wednesday was primarily about the budget recissions for the current fiscal year. The current plan is for departmental operational budgets to not be affected.
5. New Business
Faculty Governance Meeting (with Peter Englert; Mary and Frank attended)
- Peter expressed an interest in active consultation between unit (school/college) senates and the respective Deans/Directors of the units. Similarly, there should be consultation between unit senates and the Manoa Faculty Senate. The issue of system-level faculty consultation were also discussed. The SEC will establish an ad-hoc committee on "Faculty Governance Structure" with the following charge:
- Investigate how unit senates are organized and what their responsibilities are
- Investigate ways to encourage faculty participation and promote turnover of representatives
- Investigate voting procedures and representation
- Investigate how to deal with units presently without faculty senates
- Propose changes to the existing governance structure.
Possible committee members are Casey Jarman, Halina Zalesky, Emily Hawkins, Lorenz Magaard, and Matt McGranaghan. CFS will make nominations. The final report of the committee is due by the end of the current academic year,
SEC Meeting with Peter Englert, February 5 - Agenda items:
- Film school update
- Update on legislative session
- SEC action on faculty governance structure
- Position descriptions and organizational charts for Vice Chancellors for Undergraduate Education and Diversity, Equity and Hawaiian Issues
- OSA reorganization
- NCAA visit and the possible merging of faculty oversight committees
ACCFSC Resolution on Governance - Mike will forward to ACCFSC the 1/3/03 Senate minutes that has the resolution passed by the most recent Senate meeting, along with an explanation of what happened at the Senate meeting.
The next SEC meeting will be held on Monday, February 10, 2003 at 3:00 pm.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 5:35 pm.
Designed by David Flynn
Social Sciences/Business Librarian, University of Hawaii at Manoa
Maintained by Robert Valliant, SHAPS,
Send questions and comments about this site to: email@example.com