Search UHMFS

main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes of Sept 8, 2003

Highlights

2. Chair's Report (Tiles)
6. Committee reports

Present: Martha Crosby, Thomas Hilgers, Roger Lukas, Thomas Schroeder, Mary Tiles, Janice Uchida, and Charlotte Mitsutani.

Chair Tiles called the meeting to order at 3:02 pm.

1. The minutes of 8/25/03 were approved as amended.

2. Chair's Report (Tiles)

a. MLT met on 9/2; Tiles reported on the meeting via email.

b. The BOR met on Maui on 9/4-5. Although much of the meeting was "executive session," Tiles noted several developments from the public portions of the meeting:

-- Chair Patricia Lee reported that the BOR is working on a response to the UHPA resolution on executive and faculty salaries.

-- Chief of Staff Callejo has announced that as of late August, no new executive appointments/salaries may proceed without his explicit approval.

-- Legislatively funded CIP and new procurement procedures were approved.

-- Modifications in classified research policy (earlier discussed by SEC) were approved.

c. ACCFSC met on 9/5.

- UHM was represented by chairs from A&S, Education, Nursing, and Faculty Senate; all CCs were represented; UHH was not represented.

- Neghin Modavi of KCC and Mary Tiles of UHM will co-chair.

- Linda Johnsrud will be liaison between ACCFSC and the administration.

- The status of efforts to implement articulation procedures was noted.

d. MME met on 9/8.

- Both tuition revenues and RTRF returns from the system are higher than anticipated. Extra tuition revenues may be applied to unfunded commitments.

- There was some discussion of the need for better handling of registration procedures. 3. SEC/Chancellor agenda for 9/10 meeting

a. Research infrastructure

- Areas of neglect that might do most to improve our indirect-cost rate have been identified but no action has been taken.

- It seems ill advised to seriously discuss possible new initiatives without careful attention to the infrastructure needs of existing research programs and projects.

- UHM cannot seriously consider expanding undergraduate research possibilities without looking at infrastructure needs.

b. Financing Banner: What does UH need before it can be an informed partner in determining an ongoing funding mechanism for the student information system?

c. The Kakaako Research Park proposal

d. Information necessary to allow effective faculty consultation

4. Senate agenda for 9/17

a. Approval of 5/7/03 minutes

b. Chair's report

c. CAPP & CAB reports on proposed MS in Finance

- Reports will be posted at FS web site.

- SEC will draft a resolution noting that an approved policy on workload and compensation is necessary before the Senate can act on the proposal. The resolution will be posted at the FS web site.

d. Q&A with David McClain, VPAA, and Jim Gaines, interim VPR.

e. Other business

f. Adjourn 5. A request for faculty nominees to serve on the UHM Library committee will be forwarded to CFS.

6. Committee reports

a. CAPP has elected Ron Bontekoe chair. The committee has indicated an interest in reviewing admission standards.

b. CAB has elected Robert Bley-Vroman chair. CAB is considering a possible no-confidence resolution in the UHM strategic plan. It is also concerned with being better informed on the activities of BOR. Committee notes that last year it requested an all-system committee on consultation. Tiles noted that she will bring this to the attention of ACCFSC.

c. CFS has elected Susan Johnson chair.

d. CSA has elected Paige Wilmeth chair. The CSA will request specific information to use in consultation on Student Affairs proposals.

7. Other business

a. Priorities for use of the new Hawai'i Hall faculty office.

- 1, committees directly involved in faculty governance

- 2, faculty committees involved in activities related to faculty governance, such as P&T.

- 3, other Faculty Senate's governance committees

- SEC will handle scheduling requests.

b. Schroeder met with Karl Kim on staffing plans for Senate work. Kim noted that the current staffing-plan effort involves only expenditures of G funds. Senate initiatives are supported by S funds. The larger question of organizational support for Senate initiatives must be addressed.

c. SEC will ask CAB to consider possible policy on attendance at standing committee and related committee meetings.

d. The chairs of ASUH and GSO will meet with SEC on 9/22.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 5:25 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Thomas Hilgers


main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index