Search UHMFS

main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes of September 22, 2003

Highlights

2. Chair's Report (Tiles)
3. Committee Reports
4. Discussion with ASUH chair Vaimana Conner and GSO chair Shane Menza

Present: Martha Crosby, Thomas Hilgers, Roger Lukas, Jill Nunokawa, Thomas Schroeder, Mary Tiles, Janice Uchida, and Charlotte Mitsutani.

Chair Tiles called the meeting to order at 3:03 p.m.

1. The minutes of 9/15/03 were approved as amended.

2. Chair's Report (Tiles)

a. Tiles met with UH/Community Partnership Group on 9/22. After considering the upcoming 10/7 community forum on the role of principals, the group discussed proposed statues for UHM Legacy Pathway. Englert requested consultation and more research on whom it would be appropriate to commemorate in this way. Tiles will pursue.

b. MME met on 9/22.

- The UH system appears to be holding the governor's recently released allocation to UH; priority may be budget increases for the community colleges.

- MME counseled against changing policy to allow tenure for professors without green cards.

- As part of a discussion of the Alan Yang/Karl Kim proposal on posthumous degrees, Tiles requested referral to CAPP.

c. The Chancellor asked SEC if it had been consulted on the UH Land-Grant Council proposal, which involves some reorganization. MFS was not consulted. The proposal will be forwarded to CAB.

d. The Chancellor has formally requested consultation on the proposed Banner management plan. SEC will seek input from CAB and the General Education Office.

e. Tiles was given bid-list information in response to her request for furniture for the Hawai'i Hall faculty office. SEC will pursue BOR-approved "SuperQuote" alternatives.

f. Karl Kim will convene a meeting on the JABSOM reorganization proposal, tentatively for 10/1. To prepare for that meeting, SEC will request the JABSOM accreditation report and accreditation standards.

g. Several SEC members expressed concern over VPAA McClain's announcement to MFS that system articulation committees will be convened on Oct. 4. Tiles will send McClain a memo on the charge to such committees.

h. A memo from Professor W. Foltz on commencement practices will be forwarded to CPM.

i. A revised resolution proposed by Senator Patsy Fujimoto will be posted on the FS website.

j. The Senate office will seek to purchase its own scanner to allow electronic exchange of memos and proposals.

3. Committee Report

a. SEC -- The Senate's 9/17 resolution on entrepreneurial education will be forwarded to the Chancellor.

b. CA -- A proposed resolution on nutritional education will be posted on the FS website as soon as SEC approves its inclusion on the agenda of the next Senate meeting.

c. CFS -- SEC approved several nominations to committees: Professors G. Sibley, R. Horie, and B. McLain to the Academic Grievance Committee; K. Kennedy to the Student Conduct Council; J. Kellogg, S. Dawson, M. Sharma, and M. Taleff to the Study Abroad Council.

4. Discussion with ASUH chair Vaimana Conner and GSO chair Shane Menza

a. Connor reported that ASUH's primary goal is fuller student input across the board, especially on the hiring of new faculty and on MLT.

b. Menza reported GSO's similar concern. He also noted concerns with graduate certificate programs, possible consolidations rather than elimination of PhD programs, and the need for better orientation for new graduate students who are not GAs.

c. A strong consensus favored better communication and possible common ASUH, GSO, and FS initiatives regarding shared concerns. An initial common effort will look to secure more timely initial paychecks for UH faculty and staff, including student workers.

5. Agenda for 10/8 SEC/Chancellor meeting will be discussed next week.

6. Other Business -- Uchida will ask the CTAHR Senate to look into an alleged promise by VCAA to fund off-island senator participation in meetings.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 5:09 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Thomas Hilgers


main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index