Search UHMFS

main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes of September 29, 2003

Highlights

2. Chair's Report (Tiles)
     VCAA preparing report on impact of possible budget restrictions.
     Chancellor may budget for faculty salary increases in S04
4. Committee Reports

Present: Martha Crosby, Thomas Hilgers, Roger Lukas, Thomas Schroeder, Mary Tiles, Janice Uchida, and Charlotte Mitsutani.

Chair Tiles called the meeting to order at 3:09 pm.

1. The minutes of 9/22/03 were approved as amended.

2. Chair's Report (Tiles)

a. MME did not meet because the Chancellor is away.

b. At a meeting with members of the Chancellor's staff, Tiles learned that no changes relating to the Athletic Advisory Board are being forwarded to the BOR at this time. Schroeder will be able to offer a fuller picture of national issues after he returns from a conference on college athletics in mid-October.

c. MLT met on 9/23.

- Jim Manke presented the new UHM information and recruiting brochure.

- Several grants secured with assistance from Senator Inouye's office were announced.

- VCAA is preparing a report on the impacts of possible budget restrictions.

- The Chancellor is considering the possibility of budgeting for possible faculty salary increases in S04.

- Dean Hayes offered an update on a proposed Center for Genomics, Proteomics, and Bioinformatics.

- The Chancellor requested nominations for a Kakaako Space Planning Committee. SEC will await further developments before responding.

- VC Sakaguchi is in charge of level-5 space allocations.

d. ACCFSC met for much of last Friday.

- Members discussed the recent Dennis Jones report with Dobelle, McClain, and Callejo. McClain used the Jones report to note that the UH "situation has changed": recently released funds should address changed needs, all of which involve campuses other than Manoa. SEC noted that many of the assumptions behind the Jones report are questionable. Several possible responses to the Jones report were discussed.

-McClain reported that his office plans to revise articulation policy E5.209 by the end of 03-04. McClain told Tiles that he wasn't sure that the system was yet ready for full articulation using the so-called WI model. This led Tiles to question the purposes for the supposed 10/7 system meeting on articulation.

e. OFDAS has announced a faculty mentoring meeting for 10/3.

3. The distinguished lectures series (DLS) - guests Karl Kim and David Baker

a. Kim noted that the DLS had always been intended as a faculty-centered academic program. In order to better ensure this focus in the future, he and the DLS committee proposed a charter for institutionalizing DLS.

b. Schroeder asked whether or not the DLS committee was truly to be faculty committee. He noted that placing committee memberships in the hands of VCAA is not consistent with true faculty committee governance.

c. DLS committee chair Baker noted that the VCAA's role stemmed from the VCAA's securing funds for the DLS. Baker argued that current committee members are best positioned to select new members who understand the series' mission.

d. SEC noted that while there are many ways to constitute committees, only committees whose membership is appointed by the Senate are true faculty committees.

e. Kim and Baker will consult, perhaps amend their proposed charter, and possibly return to SEC.

4. Committee Reports

a. CPM will convene to elect a chair.

b. CA will present a resolution at the next Senate meeting.

c. GEC heard a report on the extensive misinformation about UHM's GE requirements across the system.

5. SEC/Chancellor agenda for 10/8

a. SEC proposes discussion of the Kakaako space committee.

b. Additional agenda items will be considered at the next SEC meeting.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 5:03 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Thomas Hilgers


main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index