Search UHMFS

main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

UHM Minutes of Faculty Senate Executive Committee, November 10, 2003

Present: Martha Crosby, Thomas Hilgers, Roger Lukas, Jill Nunokawa, Thomas Schroeder, Mary Tiles, Janice Uchida, and Charlotte Mitsutani.

Chair Tiles called the meeting to order at 3:03 pm.

1. The minutes of 11/03/03 were approved.

2. Chair's Report (Tiles)

a. The chair's summary of the last MLT meeting was posted via email.

b. Faculty has been asked to name five members to the new Budget Advisory Committee. Several possibilities were mentioned, with particular attention to past or current faculty members from various disciplines with budget experience. Tiles will contact several faculty members about their availability to serve.

c. The VPAA office appears to be pushing the proposal for the Academy of Creative Media (ACM). However, the faculty has not been informed as to what is being asked of the BOR at its next meeting. Tiles will try again to secure a copy of the missing request for Board action.

d. The VCAA office seeks advice in two areas. SEC will send its proposed policy on second bachelor's degrees to CAPP. Input regarding Catalog changes relating to +/- grading will likewise be referred to CAPP.

e. At its next meeting, ACCFSC will discuss the ACM proposal from a system perspective, perhaps with input from director Lee. VPAA will discuss the system's role in the budget process. There will be an update on web page development.

f. A list of potential Banner SWAT team members was forwarded by Tiles to Karl Kim.

g. Chair will meet with Peter Garrod to discuss the relationship between Graduate Council and the Faculty Senate as well as WASC concerns of graduate education.

h. Tiles has secured travel funding for off-island senator attendance at UHMFS meetings as well as SEC vice chair participation in meetings of ACCFSC.

3. Academy of Creative Media

a. CAPP received the chancellor's 11/4 memo covering the draft ACM proposal. CAPP was particularly concerned with the portion of the Chancellor's memo that stated "Please inform us by November 17, 2003 if you wish to discuss this proposal. If we do not hear from you by this date, we will assume that you have no comments or concerns and will proceed with the creation and establishment of the ACM." In response, CAPP appointed a sub-committee to draft a resolution that addressed the strengths and weaknesses of the ACM proposal for possible action later.

b. The ACCFSC will be able to weigh in on ACM issues, but it will not meet until after the next BOR meeting.

c. If SEC were forced to vote immediately on the ACM vision statement and action plan, it would vote "no."

4. Committee Reports

CPM

a. CPM met at the same time SEC was meeting. A resolution on graduation is forthcoming.

CAPP

b. CAPP met as reported in item 3. It is forwarding a resolution on posthumous degrees and a resolution on the proposed Certificate In Disability Studies to the Senate.

CSA

c. CSA is very much concerned with implementation of the UHM Strategic Plan. It notes that compartmentalization of possible implementations by various kuleana will not serve overall campus needs. CSA also sent a follow-up memo on its request for additional information to SEC for conveyance to the chancellor.

CAB

d. CAB is reviewing the Senate charter and by-laws. SEC agrees to schedule the spring Faculty Congress for late in the semester so that the process of by-law revision can occur on a reasonable calendar. SEC will also ask standing committees for suggestions on charter and by-law revision. CAB is likely to eventually present several additional resolutions on budget matters, in addition to the one submitted for the November Senate meeting. Finally, the new subcommittee on auxiliary services, facilities and CIP is seeking additional volunteers from the faculty.

GEC

e. GEC met with the chancellor on 11/6. Chancellor discussed his meetings with community college faculty and with WASC's executive directors. GEC members explained why the actions of VPAA are troubling and why it prepared a resolution for the full Senate. Both agreed that we face major problems with the system's attempts to compromise the autonomy of our individual campuses. The chancellor reminded GEC that Manoa faculty members do not negotiate with VPAA. He will meet with VPAA and will meet at least twice every academic year with the GEC.

f. The chancellor has formally asked, in a memo of 11/6, the Faculty Senate and its CA to propose a model for faculty governance of Athletics.

5. New Business

a. Tiles has suggested alternative language for the statement on responsibilities of the CCAO.

SEC Response to Jones Report

b. SEC commended Tiles for her draft response to the Dennis Jones report. She will share the draft with MLT and with UHM faculty members who are familiar with the big budget picture.

6. SEC and the chancellor will meet on 11/17. SEC requests two topics: articulation update and ACM.

7. Senate agenda for 11/19.

1. Approval of minutes

2. Chair's report

3. Resolutions
a. GEC
b. CPM
c. CAPP

4. CAB

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 5:12 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Thomas Hilgers


main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index