Search UHMFS

main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

UHM Minutes of Faculty Senate Executive Committee, November 24, 2003

Present: Martha Crosby, Thomas Hilgers, Roger Lukas, Jill Nunokawa, Thomas Schroeder, Mary Tiles, Janice Uchida, and Charlotte Mitsutani.

Chair Tiles called the meeting to order at 3:01 pm.

1. The minutes of 11/17/03 will be reviewed at the next meeting.

2. Chair's Report (Tiles)

a. MLT met on 11/18. Chancellor distributed a draft on the upcoming budget process and a draft plan for Chancellor office reorganization. MLT reviewed guidelines for posthumous degrees. A legislator visit with the focus on the humanities on 12/19 was announced, along with the 1/22 UH Day at the state capital.

b. On 11/18, several SEC members and the GEC chair and vice chair met with the Chancellor to discuss articulation. Englert will send a letter on articulation to VPAA.

c. On 11/20-21, chair and vice chair attended BOR meetings on Kauai. In the two hours of public meetings, BOR approved a reorganization of UHWO and a minor CC reorganization. Chris Lee made a presentation on the Academy of Creative Media (ACM). Regents adopted a new requirement: no program proposal will be considered without an attached "serious" budget analysis.

d. ACCFSC met on 11/21. It formed its own budget subcommittee. In reviewing, Educational Improvement Fund processes, it was found that processes varied by campus. A motion to approve ACM in principal was considered but found inappropriate given that no program proposal has been forwarded. Another member raised questions about individual campus authority to set its own CLEP score cutoffs.

VCAA reviewed items that require campus assessments for a system budget: Banner operations; risk management; and UH Foundation functions. IT director Lassner reported on efforts to develop UH system ID cards for students, faculty, and staff. He also reported on the single meeting of the system Distance Education Committee.

e. Tiles attended a meeting on the new UHM website. She will report developments to SEC.

3. Committee Reports

a. CA approved a request that UHM join a national group concerned with intercollegiate athletics. It continued to work on its nutrition resolution.

b. A CAPP member has resigned. CFS will be asked to nominate a replacement.

c. CSA members will be invited to the 12/1 open meeting of the BOR committee on Student Affairs.

d. GEC needs an ASUH member. The recent appointment of a new GEC member also needs to be processed.

e. The CAB meeting of 11/26 will include Wick Sloane who will discuss budget processes.

4. Draft Budget Process Memo from Chancellor

a. Tiles drafted a rewrite of the memo's charge.

b. After discussion, SEC decided to submit the Tiles draft as a proposed alternative to the Chancellor's draft wording.

5. Proposed Reorganization of the Office of the UHM Chancellor

a. The current organizational chart was approved during Deane Neubauer's interim appointment.

b. The draft reorganization plan seems problematic on several grounds.

- What is the rationale and budget for five vice chancellors? Could we not better function with three (i.e., education/academic affairs; research; administration)?

-Why is Academy for Creative Media on the organization chart? Entity doesn't even exist.

-Why do Human Resources and Public Relations require a new vice chancellor/administrator? They never before required leadership at such a level.

-The Senate several years ago passed a resolution requesting an administrator for undergraduate education. Why is none such included?

-Why are undergraduate and graduate education separated? Are demands sufficiently different to justify duplication of offices?

-What are the budgetary implications of this reorganization? Who will pay for it?

-What is the justification for the apparent duplication of efforts by campus and system bureaucracies?

c. The many questions raised (only some of which are listed above) suggest that the current draft if far from earning the Senate's endorsement. Chair will inquire about the calendar for reorganization and the specific proposed date for BOR action. If that action is expected to occur in January, she will request the soonest possible meeting between SEC and the Chancellor.

6. Other Business

a. Interim VCR Gaines will meet with SEC on 12/1 to discuss urgently needed changes in campus policy on classified and proprietary research.

b. VPAA has renewed his offer to meet with the Faculty Senate as requested.

c. The scales used on the recently distributed system survey of faculty on distance education are skewed in a way that virtually ensure positive responses (midpoints on scales are not "neutral"). SEC will ask specialists in SSRI to review the survey form.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 5:04 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Thomas Hilgers


main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index