Search UHMFS

main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes of February 2, 2004

Present: Martha Crosby, Thomas Hilgers, Roger Lukas, Thomas Schroeder, Mary Tiles, Janice Uchida, and Charlotte Mitsutani.

Chair Tiles called the meeting to order at 3:02 pm.

1. The minutes of 1/26/04 were approved.

2. Chair's Report (Tiles)

a. MLT met on January 27. VC Sakaguchi's revisions of budget figures, requested by members at an earlier meeting, were distributed. The Chancellor suggested, and MLT concurred, that budget allocations for next year be the same as those arrived at for this year.

b. Chair Tiles and Vice Chair Schroeder met with interim VCRG Jim Gaines in order to provide information from the past that will help prepare for the upcoming JABSOM accreditation-team visit. Discussion focused on the final years of the Mortimer/Smith administration, in which there were major movements of G funds that in effect established priorities different from those established by UHM's "open budget" processes of that time.

c. The first VCRG candidate discussed issues with SEC members Tiles, Schroeder, and Lukas.

d. Tiles, after last week's SEC meeting with the Chancellor on CGPBR, was approached by two faculty members who were not present at that meeting. They suggested that the Faculty Senate take a more active role in discussions of CGPBR. SEC notes that the Standing Committee on Professional Matters is discussing related issues in a meeting occurring simultaneously with the SEC's own meeting.

e. MME met on 2/2. The Chancellor distributed the recommendations of the special 2003 WASC System Visit team. The Chancellor expressed grave concern that the visiting team's 2003 report has not yet been made available for discussion in anticipation of the forthcoming team follow-up visit. ACCFSC is similarly trying to secure last year's report.

f. At tomorrow's MLT meeting, Karl Kim is scheduled to report on efforts to address problems with Banner.

3. Committee Reports

a. CSA met last week with Karl Kim regarding Banner problems. CSA, at its meeting this week, will consider the current situation and possible need for Senate action.

b. CA learned that the National Association of Faculty Athletic Representatives has recommended actions that parallel those recommended by CA×specifically, that the Faculty Athletic Representative should have the confidence of the faculty, and that there should be an emphasis on recruitment of women and minorities as Faculty Athletic Representatives.

4. Assistant VCAA Konan noted a need for a Senate standing committee..

that deals with issues relating to research and graduate education. SEC will look into the possibility of expanding CPM into a Committee on Research, Service, and Professional Matters.

5. Uses of Hawai'i Hall 208, the "Faculty Office."

a. Avis Morigawara of the VCAA office has the key but is not available to schedule room use. It has been proposed that Elaine Nakao of the General Education Office handle scheduling of HH208. But SEC needs to set policies.

b. The SEC, after discussion, decided that first priority in room use will go to the standing committees of the Senate, and in the case of GEC, its standing committees. After the needs of these committees have been met, all other duly constituted faculty committees will be able to use the room for meetings. SEC will revisit this policy as necessary.

c. Chair Tiles will talk with Elaine Nakao to assure that she understands her responsibilities.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 4:24 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Thomas Hilgers


main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

University of Hawaii | UH Manoa | UH Links | UHPA | Board of Regents