Search UHMFS

main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes of March 1, 2004

Present: Thomas Hilgers, Roger Lukas, Jill Nunokawa, Thomas Schroeder, Mary Tiles, Janice Uchida, and Charlotte Mitsutani.

Chair Tiles called the meeting to order at 3:05 pm with a quorum of four members. Other members arrived later in the meeting.

1. Action on the minutes of 2/23/04 was deferred until all members have a chance to read the draft minutes.

2. Chair's Report (Tiles)

a. MLT did not meet last week.

b. The UHM website committee is making slow progress. The new website will eventually be an umbrella for all campus websites.

c. The chair met with Denise Konan to discuss educational efforts supporting the strategic initiative on sustainability. VCAA will reissue a call for faculty participants.

d. The ad hoc administrative procedures committee continues to discuss approaches to streamlining.

e. MME met on 3/1/04.

-The Council of Chancellors, in a portion of its meeting that included ACCFFC members of the Budget Advisory Committee, proposed a template of budget categories. UHM's faculty member found the template inadequate to the realities of UHM budgeting given the complexity of our mission.

-Members discussed processes relating to the various meetings with BOR consultants on the Kakaako development.

-The request for UHM input on the KUD International proposal for Kakaako came from VPAA. Faculty participants will not be appointed by the Senate.

-MLT will tomorrow discuss the possible faculty strike, Banner, etc.

3. Tentative 3/17 Faculty Senate agenda

a. Resolutions
-CAPP on requiring the SAT/ACT writing score for F06 matriculants.
-CAB's second reading of proposed charter and by-law changes.
-Possible CSA resolution on Banner.

b. UH Foundation centennial campaign Q&A.

c. Processes related to WASC system report and UH system response (both CAB and GEC will review documents).

4. Tentative 3/18 SEC/Chancellor meeting agenda
-Research administration support
-WASC system report
-UHM Chancellor's office reorganization: how will FS be involved in modifications?
-How may FS help with orientation of the new VCAA?

5. Tentative 4/21 Faculty Congress agenda
-Q&A with President Dobelle
-Q&A with BOR Chair Patricia Lee
-Q&A with new VCAA
-Discussion of procedures relating to the WASC system report

6. Topics for SEC meeting with BOR Kakaako consultants
a. Educational mission of Kakaako development
b. Budget of Kakaako development, particularly as it relates to rest of UH
c. Governance issues: BOR, unit, faculty
d. Research issues, particularly relating to multidisciplinary projects

7. Committee reports

a. GEC is looking into processes relating to H/SL general education waivers. GEC and FS roles are not clear. It was noted that VCAA is primarily responsible for compliance with WASC standards.

b. CSA, CAB, and possibly CA will be meeting this week.

8. Other business

a. Uchida asked about addressing Senate concerns with drawn-out administrative appointment procedures. SEC will include this on the agenda for its next meeting.

b. Schroeder reported that the Council of Chancellors budget discussion is currently in its "stocktaking" phase. Each campus has 20 minutes to describe its mission and budget priorities.

9. Discussion of possible faculty club: Richard Dubanoski, guest.

a. Dubanoski noted that discussions of a faculty club have been occurring for decades, but there is renewed interest given the deans and directors' request that Dean Yeh look into possibilities for "building" (metaphorically and physically) a faculty club for UHM or for the system.

b. SEC members mentioned possibilities and issues. The diversity of faculty needs will make consensus difficult.

The meeting was adjourned at 5:00 p.m.

Thomas Hilgers


main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

University of Hawaii | UH Manoa | UH Links | UHPA | Board of Regents