Present: Martha Crosby, Thomas Hilgers, Roger Lukas, Thomas Schroeder, Mary Tiles, Janice Uchida, and Charlotte Mitsutani.
Absent: Jill Nunokawa.
The start of the meeting was delayed because the chair and vice chair were attending a meeting of ACCFSC with the WASC System Visiting Team.
Chair Tiles called the meeting to order at 4:17 pm.
1. The minutes of 3/8/04 were approved.
2. In response to an urgent request from the WASC System Visiting Team, the SEC chair, with the concurrence of those present, forwarded the draft of a statement from GEC to the WASC System Visiting Team, noting that the document was a draft.
a. The Manoa Budget Advisory Group met on 3/12/04. Linda Johnsrud from the system office made a presentation on system budget alternatives. Manoa members who were present noted that the alternatives were presented without analyses, and often at a level that was simplistic. SEC concluded that the Chancellor needs to intervene in order to ensure that UHM's needs will be met.
b. MME met on 3/15/04.
-Those present received a report from professors Forman and Schultz on how language studies, cultural studies, Title VI funding, and international studies are handled at other campuses. This report will bear upon discussion of SHAP's future.
-Crislip reported on the current standing of university-related bills at the legislature. Noteworthy: a student-sponsored bill on campus safety and security, which may include funds; an optional retirement program; and supplemental budget proposals.
-A question about procedures for the granting of emeritus professor status was raised. Whether a proposal for changing procedures is being entertained or not is unclear.
c. WASC system visiting team meeting with ACCFSC
-The WASC system visiting team met with ACCFSC today. Team members made clear that WASC wants an enrollment plan for the system. Tiles and Schroeder noted that what WASC is calling for is far more than what is being discussed as =93enrollment planning=94 in local venues.
-Team members asked about articulation. ACCFSC responded that it works fine for individual courses but there is no agreement on articulation at a program level.
-The visiting team asked about the workings of UH as a system. ASSFSC described a kind of federation, short of a system.
d. WASC system team meeting with BOR, 3/15/04
-Team members asked BOR about new regent orientation. BOR noted that new members receive some orientation, including orientation on the limited nature of BOR roles.
-Team members asked about enrollment plans for individual institutions. BOR described the missions of individual campuses.
-Team members raised questions about how regents deal with underfunding, and seemed particularly interested in the roles of assessment in decision making. When BOR members noted that financial information is often lacking, the meeting went into executive session.
4. SEC letter to BOR on administrative appointments
-Members present signed a memo urging speedier administrative searches.
-Members expressed growing concern with the effects of the policy that in effect has stopped the filling of all vacancies in administration, no matter how important.
5. A B.S. degree in ethnobotany will be proposed to the Faculty Senate.
a. The CA will meet to nominate a faculty member to serve as faculty athletic representative; nomination will be forwarded to CFS. CA will meet this week to finalize its resolution on the faculty athletic representative.
b. CAPP met 3/10 regarding admission standards. Heard from members of the UHM committee on diversity. Discussion will continue.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 5:25 pm.