Search UHMFS

main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes of april 19, 2004

Highlights

1. Discussion with incoming VCAA Smatresk
3. Chair's Report (Tiles)
3. Report on recent BOR meetings
4. ACCFSC
5. Committee Reports

Present: Thomas Hilgers, Roger Lukas, Jill Nunokawa, Thomas Schroeder, Mary Tiles, Janice Uchida, and Charlotte Mitsutani. Absent: Martha Crosby.

Chair Tiles called the meeting to order at 3:00 pm.

1. Discussion with incoming VCAA Smatresk

SEC and Smatresk had a spirited discussion on the state of UH and UHM; organizational challenges; and strategies for moving forward. All parties agreed that frequent follow-up discussions during summer are essential.

2. The minutes of 4/12/04 were approved.

3. Chair's Report (Tiles)

a. Neither the ME nor MLT met because the Chancellor is absent.

b. Tiles attended last week's WASC meeting with Smatresk and Sokugawa of the VCAA office. A morning conversation with Ralph Wolff focused on UHM challenges to accreditation, many of which relate to responsibilities perhaps assumed by or for the System office. Wolff urged the campus to take heed of the forthcoming report from the March visit of the special System review team.

c. The chair and vice chair will meet with VPAA McClain to discuss the processes and calendar for consultations with the UHM faculty and with ACCFSC.

3. Report on recent BOR meetings

a. Lukas sent reports on Thursday's committee meetings and Friday's public BOR meetings by email.

b. It was noted that BOR has untabled its resolution on the UHM Chancellor's office reorganization. It is not yet clear when this item will be on the BOR agenda.

c. Lukas and Hilgers, who were present at the Friday BOR meeting, were both troubled by the way in which UHM was apparently set up for public discussion of issues relating to articulation. The chair and the vice chair may discuss this and related procedures with VPAA.

4. ACCFSC

a. Uchida sent an email report.

b. The idea of shifting responsibility for UH's land-grant mission was discussed, particularly as it might relate to responsibility for the sea-and-space grant missions.

5. Committee Reports

a. CAB met, but will not have a new resolution for the April meeting.

b. CSA met and agreed to compose a list of carry-over issues for its successor committee. Committee also asked SEC to follow up on the Banner FS resolution in conversations with the Chancellor.

c. CAPP met, but no liaison was present. Chair reported that there would be further discussion of the admissions-test resolution. Tiles reported that CAPP's chair told her that her resolution on admissions would be sent in time for the May FS meeting. It was also noted that Associate Graduate Dean Garrod had arranged a 4-credit course through which international students could meet INS requirements.

d. CFS will likely put out a call for nominations to the General Education committees.

6. Other Business

a. Tiles reported a conversation with Crislip from Chancellor's office noting that BOR may want to consider OSA at its July meeting. SEC noted that it would be impossible for the Faculty Senate to review any OSA reorganization during the summer, and recommended that action be postponed until fall at the earliest.

b. Tuesday's System "diversification group" meeting was discussed. Tiles will ask VPAA to ensure that an agenda agreeable to all will be posted and followed.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 5:07 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Thomas Hilgers


main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

University of Hawaii | UH Manoa | UH Links | UHPA | Board of Regents