Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes of November 15, 2004
VC Smatresk arrived at 2:15 p.m.; Dator, Uchida and Ramsey were
present from 2:00 p.m. and Bley-Vroman came at 3:05 p.m. The SEC
discussed the flood, UARC, and reorganizations with VC
Smatresk. Smatresk was apprised of several Senate resolutions that
would come forward at the Senate meeting on November 17, regarding
flood recovery coordination, classified research and related
issues. After the discussion with VC Smatresk, Ramsey convened the
regular meeting of the SEC.
- The minutes for November 8 were approved with revision.
- By telephone, Ramsey consulted with Professor Vassilis Syrmos
about the Board of Regents agenda item 8 for Thursday, November 18:
"Establishment of the Applied Research Laboratory -- University of
Hawaii at Manoa". Professor Syrmos then sent to the SEC the most
recent (October 15) draft of the proposal and the motion before the
Board of Regents.
- After reviewing the exact motion before the Board or Regents, the
SEC then drafted a resolution for the Wednesday Senate meeting, urging
the Board of Regents to make any permanent approval of a UARC (now
called ARL-UHM) contingent upon the approval of the Manoa Faculty
- The SEC reviewed Tom Schroeder's proposed testimony about system
reorganization, which the SEC requested that Tom Schroeder prepare for
presentation to the Board of Regents on behalf of the SEC on November
- Most liaison reports were deferred, except the report from CAB
about the system reorganization. The SEC decided to forward the report
to both the Manoa Faculty Senate and the Board of Regents, having
found it a useful amplification of the issues that were raised in Tom
Schroeder's prepared statement.
- The SEC revised the agenda for the Wednesday Senate meeting to
accommodate the SEC resolution, a COR resolution regarding flood
recovery coordination, and CPM resolution regarding classified
- The meeting adjourned about 6:00 p.m.