Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes of April 18, 2005
Chairman Tom Schroeder convened the SEC at 3:00 p.m. with everyone
present except Bley-Vroman who was traveling.
- The minutes of April 11 were adopted with some revision.
- The Senate Agenda for April 20 was reviewed.
- The agenda for the Senate meeting for May 4 was discussed. It might
focus on finances. CPM has a report about the emeritus status. The
governance of GenEd might be reviewed.
- The current activities of all standing committees were reviewed.
- Under other business, Schroeder reported on the Council of
Chancellors Budget Advisory Group meeting which was in progress while
the SEC was meeting and that had been meeting for several hours
already. The student caucus (a multi-campus group) was objecting to
tuition increases. Their financial details were shaky but their
statements of principle were very good. The caucus brought up some
issues of articulation. Lilikala Kame'eleihiwa strongly defended
Manoa's need to determine standards for itself. Schroeder also
reported on the morning's MME meeting (UARC, budget, alcohol policy,
Freer Hall development, campus an imminent security report,
legislative resolutions about UARC, testimony at the Legislature about
- UHM finances were discussed.