main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes of June 6, 2005

Chairman Bley-Vroman convened the SEC at 3:00 p.m. Dator, Schroeder, Hilgers, Lampe, Staff and Ramsey attended.

1. The minutes of May 23 were approved with revision.

2. Tom Schroeder reported on his meeting with VPR Gaines about the classified research policy. Currently, it will not go to the Board of Regents but administrative policies will be drafted. VP Gaines wants a Manoa faculty committee to review grant (proposals) that are classified or proprietary. The SEC decided to try schedule a meeting with Gaines to discuss it, tentatively 3:30---4:00 p.m. on Monday, June 13.

3. Tom Schroeder reported on a suggestion by VC Ostrander for a faculty committee as part of UARC, to review all task orders prior to acceptance. The SEC decided to discuss it with him at its regular meeting with him at 2:00 p.m. on June 13.

4. Bley-Vroman reported that the Graduate Division had finished its review of the first Ph.D. program at UH Hilo, recommending that no students be admitted to it until the program had adequate resources. This review went from Garrod to Ostrander, to Englert, to Johnsrud, and finally to the President who sent it to Hilo. The SEC asked Bley-Vroman to seek further information.

5. The SEC received a "Life Cycle Cost Analysis" report from a subcommittee of CAB, the Subcommittee on Auxiliary Services, Facilities and CIP. The SEC asked Bley-Vroman, 2004-2005 liaison to CAB, to poll the subcommittee members as to their view of the report (currently, the report has only the name of the subcommittee's chair, Amarjit Singh). After polling the subcommittee, Bley-Vroman will send the report with an appropriate cover letter to an administrative committee that is now reviewing policies regarding faculty housing. The SEC also discussed a Housing Survey conducted by Prof. Heather Young Leslie. Some information on that survey could be useful to the administrative committee reviewing policies regarding faculty housing. However, the methodology of the survey, and especially the statistical validity, was not clear to the SEC. Bley-Vroman volunteered to learn more and report back the SEC.

6. The SEC discussed the UARC Committee. Ramsey was asked to schedule a meeting of it and have them select a chair. It was voted 6 yes, 0 no, with 1 abstention, to add Jon Osorio to the committee. Schroeder volunteered to sound out John Learned as another committee member.

7. Tentatively, there will be an orientation of the new SEC Saturday morning, June 25 at Bley-Vroman's home in Manoa.

8. Most members of the SEC received an advertisement for gene sequencing services from the Center for Genomics, Proteomics, and Bioinformatics Research Initiative. Tom Schroeder gave a history, from the academic year 2003-2004, of a proposed center for genomics, proteomics, and bioinformatics. The 2003-2004 proposal was withdrawn. The SEC will ask Chancellor Englert about CGPBRI at some future meeting with him.

9. At the May 16th meeting with Chancellor Englert, Tom Schroeder volunteered for an alcohol-on-campus committee. Also, beginning July 1, Tom Schroeder will serve one-quarter time as an assistant to VC Kathy Cutshaw.


main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

University of Hawaii | UH Manoa | UH Links | UHPA | Board of Regents