main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

Manoa Faculty Senate Minutes of August 31, 2005

August 31, 2005, Law Classroom #2

Senators present:
Allsopp, Baker, Baroni, Bley-Vroman, Bridges, Brown, Chang, Coimbra, Cox, DeMattos, Diamond, Duffy, Erickson, Efird, Fritzinger, Fryer, Fujimoto,Garcia, Grandy, Greene, Haig, Halagao, Hijirida, Hudson, Inazu, Kent, Kipnis, Lampe, Lee, Liebert, Lorenzo, Madey, Magaard, Manshardt, Mark, Minatodani, Nitz, Raleigh, Ramos, Rieder, Russo, Sansone, Satsuma, Shiramizu, Speitel, Staff, Stodden, Tiles, Valliant, Weinstein, Yuen,

Senators absent:
Bangert, Buenconsejo-Lum, Decarlo, Donegan, Herring, Kamakawiwoole, Kazman, Kennedy, Lee, Lopes, Paull, Robinow, Sanders, Scanlon, Skouge, Stark, Ward, Weems, Weiczorek, Yu

Senators excused:
Bingham, Comcowich, Fassiotto, Hawkins, Rutter, Sipes, Yates

Past Senators present: Aquino, Hilgers, Lukas, Singh,

Ex Officio: Neal Smatresk

Invited from Chancellor's office: Chancellor Konan, VCA Cutshaw, VCR Ostrander

Others who signed in:
Dean Alegado, Kelly Aune, Tony Blazesack, Dominic Colnecurgo(?), Sasha Bley-Vroman, Joanne Clark, Heather Crislip, Sandy Davis, David Flynn, Arleen Fujimoto-Ikuma, David Hiple, Jean Imada, Michael Jones, Bev Keever, Karen Lee, Peter Nicholson, Wendy Pearson, Rituilkeu (?), Wendy Sora, Vassilis Syrmos, Eric Szarnes, Mary Tiles, Iris, Takushi, Myrtle Yamada

Chair Robert Bley-Vroman called the meeting called to order at 3:07 p.m. He welcomed all to the new year and remarked that some very important issues are on the agenda this year. The MFS will have the opportunity to redefine its role in critical ways.

1. The Minutes of the May, 4, 2005 meeting were approved as submitted.

2. Chair's Report - Bley-Vroman announced that SEC actions over the summer are included in the SEC Summer 2005 notes, appended to the agenda.

3. UARC Committee - delivery of Interim Report Bley-Vroman introduced the UARC Committee and noted that SEC believes faculty wish to have a reasoned debate on this issue. Recognizing that there are a variety of impassioned views of ethical, economic, administrative details, and there are questions related to collegiality and academic freedom, etc. may make for a complicated discussion. Also, MFS needs to understand exactly what is being proposed. The creation of the ad-hoc UARC committee's charge was to look into all these issues and to present an interim report. The report is appended to the agenda but discussion will be scheduled at the next meeting on September 21st.

Calvin Pang (Law) member of the ad-hoc committee presented a summary of the committee's activities this summer. First, the committee raised questions which were sent to members of administration, including Ostrander and Cutshaw for response. Chair Sara Rutter created a website, www.hawaii.edu/uhmfs/uarc and posted all relevant documents, questions and answers, opinions, etc. Finally the committee created the Interim Report. Currently, the status of the proposed contract is unclear; since no contract has been finalized, therefore many remaining important details are unknown, especially the details of a business plan. An independent attorney was retained with funds from Ostrander's budget and the committee will be provided more information from this source before Sept. 21.

3. Committee on Research Resolution - presented by David Duffy (NS) The Resolution from Committee on Research Regarding Proposed Changes to Board of Regewnts Policy 5-19 is attached to the agenda; this resolution is related to a proposed policy change that was scheduled for the September BOR meeting; however, the administration has now withdrawn the item. A BOR-approved September 2004 policy which allows researchers to use UH or RCUH to administer grants was never implemented. HGEA was unhappy with this policy and negotiated a new policy which would limit RCUH employment to one year (except for specific named grants). The new policy would result in many current RCUH employees losing employment or having to re-apply as UH employees, with the result that they would lose pensions and other benefits, and PI's would lose flexibility in hiring. The UH human resource system is slow, and often takes up to 6 months to complete a hire. Researchers are convinced that hiring through UH will make the UH research enterprise uncompetitive. Research PIs and RCUH employees were not consulted in the creation of the new policy.

Duffy read the resolution and moved for approval; it was seconded. Discussion: David Erickson (ED) asked why the policy was to be changed? Duffy responded there has been a contested case that has not been resolved, and HGEA was involved. Bruce Liebert, (ENG), asked about the numbers of RCUH staff that would have to be terminated if the new policy is adopted. Duffy responded numbers are unclear, and added that there are positions that would have to go to other unions besides HGEA, so the issue is actually larger than HGEA. Tom Schroeder (SOEST) provided an estimate of 700, but mentioned the language of the new policy is complicated and provides that conversions apply to those hired after certain dates and thus the numbers involved is not readily available. He also noted that the new policy originated from the system. Barry Raleigh (SOEST) asked if other parts of the system objected. Duffy responded both Maui and Hilo have indicated concern. John Madey (NS) asked if COR took any advice from those knowledgeable about unfair labor practices. Duffy responded there was no time to research this, given the short response timeframe. Madey asked if there could be an opportunity to seek such advice? Duffy(?) responded some employees of RCUH have already sought legal advice and will most likely legally contest if the new policy is adopted. Madey suggested soliciting opinion from Law faculty on this matter. Roger Lukas (outgoing SOEST) noted that the September 04 policy had required representation of faculty interest, while the new policy developers did not seek faculty input. He reminded all that MFS should require a reasonable consultative input process. Bill Lampe (SS) noted that Madey's suggestion is excellent but it should have no impact on adopting the Resolution in front of senators today. Sylvia Yuen (CTAHR) stated she supports the resolution but wants it broadened to include all extramural grants. Mike Garcia (SOEST) stated that this was discussed in COR but members decided they wanted to respond to the issue in front of them directly and make a strong statement, and thus, a broader statement had been removed. David Erickson noted that College of Education runs many training grants that would also be crippled by the new policy. Jim Tiles (A & H) asked that the message via today's resolution go forward, and suggested that COR be asked to bring another resolution forward regarding training and the broader perspective at a later time.

The question was called. The Resolution passed: 53 in favor, 0 opposed, 0 abstained

5. Chair's Report on Interim chancellor and permanent chancellor search Bley-Vroman reported that SEC decided to make significant input this summer on the process for both interim and permanent chancellor searches. The SEC was united in the desire to make clear that it was in Manoa's best interest to begin the permanent chancellor search soon, and also to have an interim appointment quickly. President McClain had asked that the permanent President be selected first, so that s/he could select the next permanent Manoa chancellor, but SEC was philosophically opposed. The SEC argued that the chancellor should not be seen as a "deputy" to the President. SEC also decided that it was best if the interim chancellor not to be candidate for permanent and further asked that sitting deans not be considered for the interim position. SEC presented these ideas to the President and the BOR. President McClain agreed to the procedure outlined by SEC for the interim appointment. Denise Konan was selected and SEC was satisfied with the choice and the process.

Discussion: Bev Keever, (Journalism) asked for public disclosure on why the past chancellor was not re-appointed. Roger Lukas stated that SEC had asked the same question. He also commented that the search process should inform candidates what will be expected of them and how they will be evaluated. Frank Sansone (SOEST) asked for an update on the status of the search. Belinda Aquino (outgoing Pol Sci) asked why the interim chancellor should not be considered for the permanent position. Jim Tiles noted that the interim chancellor is to be responsible for hiring her replacement and therefore should not engineer his or her own appointment. Keever stated that the restriction is a Presidential decision, not a BOR requirement. Lukas noted that SEC wanted a Manoa-driven/faculty-led search for permanent chancellor. Madey asked for more specifics on this idea. Bley-Vroman said there were no details yet, but hopes when the search process is outlined it should include the concept that faculty will be the driving force. He also noted that we want to generate as large and talented a pool of applicants as possible, and if the interim has been given the seal of approval, wonders how many others would apply? Judith Inazu (SS) asked about the authority for SEC to act for faculty in the summer. Bley-Vroman responded that By-Laws give SEC this authority. While it would have been possible to call an emergency meeting of MFS over summer, it hasn't been tried and may not result in a quorum. Lampe added that faculty can object to SEC's action. But Lukas noted that a copy of the SEC memo on the search process was sent out to all faculty over the summer and there was only one response. Mary Tiles (non sen A & H) stated the memo was also circulated by other means.

4. Denise Konan, Interim Chancellor Bley-Vroman introduced Denise Konan, who received a round of applause. Konan provided the following background: she had been happy in her faculty position and did not seek the interim chancellor position. Although she initially declined being considered, she soon saw that she had an opportunity to step up and give back to an institution she loves. She noted that in her dozen years at Manoa, she has moved up the ranks to full professor and Chair of Economics, and served for three years with Karl Kim in the chancellor's office involved with strategic planning, WASC special visit, negotiated articulation agreements, and implementation of new General Ed requirements. She recounted the unique and special cultural, educational, ecological & environmental aspects of Hawaii and its strategic goal to be globally connected.

Goals of her administration: First, given the highest enrollment on record (a gain of 3000+ students since Fall 01) and class size/ class offerings increasing while funding has not) she wants to make this the "year of the student." Manoa has good rankings in some respects, (i.e., diversity) and poor ratings elsewhere (i.e., retention, graduation in 6 years, engagement in campus social life, etc. Also, students rate their experience at Manoa as significantly below peer institutions. MFS can help her staff review data, and recommend strategies to improve student experience, assess student learning, and build more research opportunities into our curriculum. She also wants to improve the partnerships between Academic and Student Affairs and take steps to further recognize and respond to the diverse needs of the student body, especially the indigenous people of Hawaii.

Second, bring functionality to Chancellor's office?its still a new office with new VCs, and it has a new independent role & identity. She wants to advocate for Manoa interests as a large and complex institution and demonstrate how we serve the state as the flagship institution. She wants to eliminate confusion and duplication where policy, procedures, and protocol are undeveloped, and to clarify shared governance, and promote clear communication and leadership from governance groups.

Third, after many years, Manoa is no longer experiencing cuts, and she will focus on the budget. Funding will expand or contract depending on how well we serve students as tuition goes up. Transparency of budget is a priority and also the need to agree on how to distribute tuition funds.

Fourth, she agreed to head up a national search to find her successor. Faculty, deans & directors, kuulii council, and students want to be deeply involved in the search. She wants to include all stakeholders and hope that faculty will be generous here. Soon she will be appointing a search chair, and is now taking nominees.

Fifth, Konan wants to celebrate who we are, have fun and build community on campus, noting that community provides openings for leadership, excellence, innovation.

Discussion and Questions: Mike Garcia (SOEST) commented that with respect to the year of the student, it would be helpful to include and reach out to staff because many students are turned off by staff who are not problem solvers.

Ken Kipnis (PHIL) stated he chaired a committee on the undergraduate student experience. Recommendations were adopted by the MFS and forwarded to administration, but little was implemented. Problems with freshmen and unclassified students were noted. Specifically, for example, there is a need to designate classes for freshmen and not allow them to filled by upperclassmen. We need a locus of administrative responsibility for undergrads similar to graduate division. We now have an explosion of responsibility but no one looking at the larger picture.

Konan's Response: An Assoc VC for undergrad education is on the charts now. We need to fill it, after the VCS position is filled. (She asked for a copy of the Kipnis study.)

7. New Business: VCAA Neal Smatresk noted that the WASC visit planned for this November has been postponed until at least 2007. This provides opportunity for the chancellor's staff to focus on other things besides WASC.

Mike Garcia asked about parking issues. Response: Administration is looking at some improvements but limited by funding. At present dorms must be the major focus.

Shana Brown (HIST) commented that the new student Bus pass at discounted price is an excellent new resource.

Noel Kent (SOC SCI) commented that he's disappointed WASC isn't coming this year. He had hoped the scheduled visit would keep us honest.

Gay Satsuma (SHAPS) feels anxious over the state of our university. The many interim appointments is an unsettling thing and makes it difficult to implement new initiatives. She asked when a permanent president would be selected? Response: Bley-Vroman has no details at present? but it appears the Chair of BOR wants to start soon. It is difficult for Manoa to take leadership on system presidential search. Madey commented that the BOR may not be comfortable making decisions and so they may not make them. He suggested that MFS have an annual briefing with BOR to get to know them and offer to help them?a feeling of connection may help. Aquino noted we get info too late to help make decisions. She feels there is a structural flaw with confidentiality rules, etc. Sansone commented that the degree of secrecy around past presidential search and the unveiling of Dobelle was unpleasant. Garcia mentioned that the new regent, Mike Dehealy, is a UH grad and would be interested in MFS percepetions. Raleigh (SOEST) noted that President Mortimer's search committee said he could not be unveiled because he did not want his current institution to know?and the same thing happened with Dobelle. He feels the search process should not allow this because due diligence requires more openness.

A motion to adjourn was made and seconded and the meeting was adjourned at 5:30(?) pm.

Humbly submitted
Martha Staff
Secretary to the Manoa Faculty Senate


main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

University of Hawaii | UH Manoa | UH Links | UHPA | Board of Regents