April 19, 2006 Law #2
Allsopp, Aune, Baker, Bangert, Baroni, Bingham, Bley-Vroman, Coimbra, Comcowich, Cox, Decarlo, DeMattos, Donegan, Duffy, Ericson, Efird, Fassiotto, Fritzinger, Fujimoot, Garcia, Grandy, Haig, Hemphill, Hudson, Kipnis, Lampe, Liebert, Manshardt, Mark, Minatodani, Paull, Raleigh, Ramos, Ramsey, Richardson, Rieder, Russo, Rutter, Sansone, Satsuma, Scanlon, Shiramizu, Sipes, Staff, Stimson, Tiles, Valliant, Weinstein, Yates, Yue, Yuen
Bridges, Buenconscjo-Lum, Diamond, Fryer, Greene, Halagao, Hawkins, Herring, Kamakawiwoole, Kazman, Kennedy, Lee (M.T), Lopes, Lorenzo, Magaard, Nitz, Port, Roberts Marlow, Sanders, Skouge, Ward, Weems, Wieczorek, Yu.
Senators Excused: Chang, Inazu, Kent, Lee (L.).
Ex Officio: Smatresk
Chair Bley-Vroman called the meeting to order at 3:04 p.m.
1. Minutes of the March 15, 2006 meeting: Approved. Small corrections can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
a. Chancellor search: A search firm should be selected soon. Candidates will be sought and applications received over summer, resulting in a short list by the end of fall; this is the optimistic schedule. The search will take as long as needed.
b. Senate resolution regarding not hiring a Vice-President for Students: This was passed in February. Since then the legislature has begun a process (legislative resolution) to urge UH to appoint a VPS. Bley-Vroman testified against this counter-resolution to both committees involved. Unfortunately, there is currently talk in the higher education committee tieing money to maintaining the position.
c. Discussion: Bangert (CBA) asked who will be in the interim Chancellor this fall? Bley-Vroman responded it's up in the air, but the President is undertaking a 360 review of Konan, and may ask that she serve another year. This is the obvious solution, but there may be other options. Senate has not taken a stand.
Cutshaw was unable to attend due to a legislative hearing. Tom Schroeder was asked to offer a few comments instead.
Schroeder reported that on March 31 sandbags were up at Bale's entrance before the rains. Major drainage problems were reported and as it kept raining, leaking roofs developed. Facilities has been asked to identify and track progress on drain cleaning and other tasks (and there is information on this on their website). The problems this time were not connected to Manoa stream, although the stream did overflow.
Smatresk commented he saw the water go over the bridge near the shopping center. There was a river on Woodlawn Drive but drain cleaning that has occurred since the former flood helped to keep campus from flooding.
Paull (CTAHR) asked if resources would be provided to replace water damaged items in offices? Schroeder stated he didn't know.
Garcia (SOEST): Was there an organized response by campus? Smatresk: As much as could be expected. Security and many others were involved in monitoring, reporting, responding.
Schroeder noted that 3 ½ inches of rain fell in 2 hours; and it could have been worse. But because drains were clearer, we were lucky. But we do have major infrastructure problems.
Bley-Vroman: Cutshaw will again be asked to report in May. Overall, she is confident that progress is being made.
Chair: Tiles reported that the Council was formed by the chancellor as an advising body. The members represent people and units already involved, and hope to coordinate and pull together these and new efforts. Also, the Council is trying to develop curriculum and learning opportunities. Sustainability has three legs: environment, economy, community. She mentioned definitions from the UN World Committee on Environment & Development and the Oregon state website which mentions the needs of present should not jeopardize needs of future. A priority is to fund a coordinator for a demonstration recycling project to expland current small recycling efforts. In the biennium budget the Council has asked to fund an energy/water resource manager, a comprehensive waste management plan, and systematic mapping of campus, especially underground structures (electronic, water pipes, etc.)
Finally, the Council is looking at organizing an undergraduate sustainability curriculum that would include a focus designation (not part of gen ed) but simply to note/flag the courses to begin building concentrations, a pilot certificate program, etc. The academic home would be Environmental Studies.
Another need is to develop a protocol for transparent campus review of major facilities projects such as new dorms, substantial renovations, etc. At the system level there are standards being incorporated. The Council has Steve Medda working on smart system design and a proposal can be expected next year. At the state level, the Hawaii 2050 Sustainability Task Force report is a factor to promote state agency efficiencies.
Garcia: Are you attaching dollar amounts to water and energy savings in your reports? Tiles noted that under Englert, much effort was expended in this area and is on the Sea Grant website. Data was presented to the legislature to demonstrate what we've been doing, and to begin discussing future plans and payback times involved.
Nicholson wants to make this position more visible to faculty and wants to report on progress in student athletics at the May meeting. Every institution in Division I must have this position. Steve Martin held the position for 30 years. Last year, it was decided the FAR should be a member of teaching faculty and he (Nicholson) was selected. It is now a half-time 11 month position; his other half is in the English Department. Responsibilities of FAR include approving academic eligibility of every athlete, and to serve as ombudsmen, representing the University at NCAA and WAC, and also should be the Chair of Athletics Advisory Board. The FAR also advises the Chancellor on matters affecting athletes, and advises the Senate. An annual report is due each May. FAR is a work-in-progress, but Nicholson is pleased with the support he's been getting from the administration. Nicholson wants to do research but hasn't had time. He'll analyze various issues in memos.
Student athletic performance is the heart of his first May report. Manoa is losing scholarships because of poor performance. But the vast majority of athletes are doing well. Upper 85-90% are typical students, with a small minority bringing Manoa down. In the near future, there will be new policies relating to athletic admissions, a reward system, and time conflicts (usually due to travel schedules). Academic policies should be set by academic office, not the athletic office. New policies won't result in dramatic turnaround this year, but should lead to better future results.
Decarlo (SOEST): Is there a correlation between lower 10% and particular sports? Nicholson responded that the problem sports this year are baseball and football as has been reported in the media.
Yates (JABSOM): He's heard complaints that UH standards are higher and its impacting recruiting. Is this true?
Nicholson: Our conference is the only one in the country penalizing schools. But each institution is facing the same challenges; either raise academic standards or be penalized.
Someone asked about athletes missing 50% of the semester, wondering if the university is asking too much of them?
Russo (SS): Travel schedules may also induces illness. Athletes come back needing recovery time and missing more classes.
Decarlo: Athletics sends someone to take roll, to make sure if students come to class.
Nicholson commented that he urges faculty to treat all students equally. Hold them to usual standards.
As he introduced Cox, Bley-Vroman noted that Linda Cox, Kim Bridges, and CFS worked hard on the new procedures and asked for a round of applause.
Cox reported that Bridges is away on sabbatical. CFS is notifying holdover senators and newly elected senators. Candidates for SEC are expected to provide statements by this Friday. Absentee ballots will be available, but most senators will vote at next meeting with the election concluded by May 8.
The recent election had some glitches that will be worked out during the next year. Cox noted that training faculty in new election procedures is like herding cats.
Sansone (SOEST): Isn't it unusual to have candidates send statements individually to all. Will this continue?
Cox: In the future CFS will likely post the statements on the web. That was original plan, but since Bridges left town, and the process was already late, they had to make other arrangements. In the future Cox sees an electronic election and no dead trees.
Patsy Fujimoto gave the history of the delays on the resolution. Problems have been discussed and completely vetted. She moved that Senate adopt the resolution.
Discussion: Raleigh (SOEST): He is against it. The problem is that the universoty is in a position to provide data that throws light on problems. But if the university itself has a center to tell people what to do, we dilute our stance in offering data and we may offend someone. He gave an example from his experience.
McGranaghan (non-senator): In late 2004-5 A&S Senate reviewed the proposal thoroughly and voted against and did not want to consider an altered proposal.
S. Chandler (non-senator): The PPC will not make decisions, will remain neutral and provide options. For example Russo looking at uninsured. Options will go forward, without a rec. Most universities have such centers to help educate the community. PPC serves in a facilitative role and hopes to help meet goal of strategic plan to do more for the community? to help people find good research. The PPC will make no political recommendations.
Sharon Miyashiro (non-senator) gave an example of bringing stakeholders together.
Fujimoto: CAPP looked at all objections and members were satisfied.
Paull (CTAHR): What is the difference between PPC and SSRI?
Chandler: SSRI is a unit that supports research across the Social Sciences. The PPC has a discrete educational focus that SSRI doesn't have.
Paull: What is the advantage of this?
Chandler gave an example relating to the sunshine laws, and noted that the two key staff are half-time supported respectively by SSRI and URP. Both she and Miyashiro have been successful individually in getting grants to support others.
Minatodori (LS) asked if there would be overlap with the work done at the Legislative Reference Bureau, which used to be on the Manoa campus.
Chandler: That unit is responsive to legislators. PPC will not be at beck and call of legislators, but will respond to the community.
Kipnis: Philosophers pays attention to structure of arguments and are not so interested in the data itself.
Chandler commented that for community work, the PPC will be looking at broader perspectives and the context will be important, just as data will be.
Grandy (SS) noted that as a faculty in the public admin program he's in strong support of PPC's mission and he hopes for and expect collaboration between the two programs. He sees a strong need for community training.
Decarlo: Does that require a center? Can training be done in an existing unit?
Grandy: there are pieces duplicated in other places. When a unit says it does policy it may seem to be infringing on other units, but there is a good purpose in having a coordinative center.
Raleigh stated that when one delivers opinions, who you select to assemble data and positions has a large impact on what emerges. Objectivity is a delusion even in the scientific community. The university will become attached to the person giving the speech.
Chandler responded that PPC will not do things this way.
Paull noted he's concerned that academics has not been highlighted in this discussion. The certificate program needs to be mentioned.
Chandler: There is a graduate certificate program, with a separate resolution.
Tiles called for an end to debate, which passed unanimously (38 voting).
In favor of the resolution: 22
The resolution was adopted.
Stodden (Non-senator, Center on Disability Studies): Does the program have to be in an academic unit?
Fijimoto: PPC is an academic unit.
Stodden: Why is an 8 million dollar center on Disability Studies not allowed to have a certificate?
Duffy (NS): Did the same thing happen to an environmental center?
Bley-Vroman: All we can say now is that this certificate is housed in an academic center.
Smatresk: Any certificate needs to have a center or department to sponsor it. Someone must manage it. It is now procedurally correct to pass this certificate.
Bangert: We have a certificate in conflict res. And we've passed others housed in centers.
The vote was called:
In favor: 25
The resolution passed.
Duffy requested deferring this matter to the next meeting so that Cutshaw could present first.
Ramos presented the resolution, asking that the Senate support the new initiatives in the Chancellors office to develop an enrollment management program.
Kipnis commented that about 6 years ago the Senate recommended there be a locus for undergrad study and was concerned that this effort would be under the Chancellor.
Sansone (SOEST) stated that he doesn't know what the resolution means.
Smatresk thanked CSA for writing such a resolution and mentioned it is not extraordinary to have such a position..most universities have it. Two consultants will come from Missouri and Arizona the second week in May to help develop the thinking of the new function.
Yuen (CTAHR): Senate is a policy body. Should we be voting on a position within a unit?
Lampe: The resolution asks that we support an enrollment management program. Would it satisfy you to remove the position?
M. Staff (SA): It is important to bring various tasks under academic and student affairs together in a coordinated program. The current lack of enrollment management is hurting us.
Yuen: It is not an academic program and does not rise to the level for us to vote on.
Yates: does the VCAA comment make this a moot point?
Kipnis: this needs to be subordinated to the VC for undergrad education.
Smatresk: this will be under Ron Cambra, who is the Associate VC for undergrad education.
Bley-Vroman noted that financial assistance is part of enrollment management but aspects are currently done by the system. The resolution supports devolution in an important way.
Tiles: called the question. The chair, noting there was no quorum, adjourned at 4:50 p.m.
Secretary, Manoa Faculty Senate