main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes of September 26, 2005

Present: SEC: Chairman Robert Bley-Vroman, Martha Staff, Jim Tiles, Bill Lampe, Noel Kent and Robert Valliant. Absent: Barry Raleigh. VCAA Gary Ostrander (left at 3pm); Chancellor Denise Konan came at 4:30.

Senate Secretary Charlotte Mitsutani was present.

  1. VCAA Gary Ostrander began the discussion at about 2:00pm. He left at 3:00 pm
    1. UARC

      Vice Chancellor Ostrander noted that he had made several changes to the UARC Business Plan based on suggestions received in the Faculty Senate meeting of Sept 21. These included adding an exit strategy, adding another table to clarify the table in the Ad Hoc Faculty Senate Committee Interim Report. He commented that in comparing the NSF and UARC models, the UARC actually brought in $9.5 million more than the NSF model. He said that if we had a UARC now, it would be possible to move Federal funds to SOEST and Social Sciences expediously to aid UH project.

    2. RTRF

      VCR Ostrander presented the RTRF Report for FY 2005 to the committee. It is a simple chart and table presentation of the amount of RTRF his office handles, where the money comes from and where it goes. He made it clear that this is just his office's share of the RTRF. The presentation will be made public later.

      When questioned about how the money was spent and how much went to the arts and humanities, the VCR noted several new initiatives coming out of his office:

      • Undergraduate Research Initiative $100,000. Students will work with a project adviser, over the summer, and present the results in the fall. About 30 students would receive grants.
      • HHMI Proposal. A proposal with the Howard Hughes Medical Institute to provide research money for another 30 undergraduates.
      • RTRF research packages for students to entice them to come here. The committee asked if international students would be eligible, since this was federal money. VCR explained that they would because the money came from the state not the federal government. RTRF from federal funds is returned to the state not the university, so in effect, the state ``washes'' the money for the university.

      Bley-Vroman asked about policies to solve transparency problems about how decisions were made. The VCR made it clear that the decisions were his. It is ``his'' money. Some of it will go to searches in SOEST, PBRC and Engineering, JABSOM wants 100% of its RTRF to help cover its deficit, startup packages for deans, and he wanted to begin looking at space and infrastructure issues to improve the RTRF capture rate.

      The VCR said that although there is plenty of money coming in now, the federal government is under huge pressure for cuts because of expenses in Iraq and for hurricane damage on the Gulf Coast. So the next 2 years will be tough. 70%--80% of our RTRF comes from the federal government.

    3. Graduate Council

      The Graduate Council is now appointed by the deans and by Peter Garrod. It was asked whether it souldn't be appointed by the senate or the chairs of the graduate programs in the departments. Just get them together and let them choose representatives.

      Lampe pointed out that at one time there was an agreement that many committees be appointed by the senate.

    4. UARC and management difficulties

      Lampe pointed out that with the UARC and the expected increase in classified research, there would be a corresponding increase in managerial problems. He reminded that David Ross had pointed out that MIT found out that it could not manage its own labs because of the compartmentalization required by secrecy. He said that Manoa could expect the same.

  2. Approval of Minutes of 9/19

    Adopted, subject to corrections

  3. Chair's Report

    Bley-Vroman reported that he met the the chancellor on Friday and the meeting was devoted to the chancellor search. He suggested to her that he would chair part of the work in order to get the process started: talking to the necessary people, etc. Lampe suggested that should this happen, he might want to use Barry Raleigh as a resource person.

    The senate wants someone to defend Manoa and its autonomy, but the chancellor must work with the president and the deans and directors. Lampe suggested that if the president would agree to change the chancellor's job description to read that the ``chancellor makes policy for Manoa'' rather than ``recommends to the president'' it would go a long way to satisfying the senate and faculty.

    Bley-Vroman noted that he also attended the UH Community Partnership.

  4. Business of the day
    1. UARC

      The committee discussed the way the UARC issue should be approached. Should it act and then refer the matter to the Congress and have it vote? Should the senate itself decide. There was general agreement that the senate must do something, but that there should also be a forum for faculty to speak its mind.

      It was agreed that the senate ad hoc committee cannot finish its report without the contract and without the analysis of the contract by its outside legal firm.

      It was agreed that the senate would be asked if it wanted to refer the issue to the Congress.

      Bley-Vroman prepared 4 draft resolutions that the SEC could propose to the Senate for a vote. They were called ``pro'', ``not con minimal'', ``not con max'' and ``con''. The SEC discussed them and decided to dispense with the ``pro'' version and slightly change one of the others. It was felt that these 3 would probably be the ones that would encompass most of the opinion of the senators.

      The SEC decided that the Congress will be postponed until after the senate acts, however it is not possible to set a date.

  5. Committee Reports
    1. CAPP (Lampe) --- meets next week. The people pushing Honor's College want to be there. Smatresk will talk about a range of things. The chair will do a thorough job, reading the documents. Once again, Lampe noted the committee needed more members.
    2. CoA (Lampe) ---- Has not met
    3. CPM (Tiles) --- No meeting scheduled
    4. CR (Tiles) --- Will meet next week with the City Council about the Biohazard Center. VP Gaines is the point man for the University.
    5. CSA (Staff) --- No meeting
    6. GenEd (Kent) --- None
  6. Chancellor Konan

    1. Chancellor Search

      Chancellor Konan began by discussing what progress had been made on the chancellor search. She noted that she had conversations with Bley-Vroman and the deans and directors.

      It was pointed out that the relationship between the president and chancellor is crucial. If it could be made clear that the chancellor was running Manoa there would be fewer problems. Lampe again recommended changing the job description to read that the ``chancellor made policy'' not ``recommends policy''.

      Tiles posed 2 concepts of reporting: manager to CEO, and CEO to holding company president. In the latter case the CEO had more authority. The second alternative would give the president more time to be a buffer between Manoa and the legislature.

      The chancellor reiterated that one of her goals was to define the functioning of the Manoa chancellor's office. This involved many small things such as reporting functions, job description changes, changes in BOR policies, etc.

      Tiles raised the question of evaluation of a chancellor's performance. He believed that it should not lie solely with the president. Other groups, the senate, the deans and directors, students groups, etc should have a say. The committee recognized that confidientality issues created a difficult problem.

      The chancellor noted that the chancellor's office should be ``value added'', but that it could not take more delegation without a corresponding increase in capacity.

      The items to be explored included assessment of the chancellor, making of Manoa policy, the concept of reporting, transfer of offices to Manoa, ``system lite'', protocol problems, relationship to the legislature and governor, external relations and public relations.

    2. Faculty Housing

      The chancellor told the SEC that a group of tenants of faculty housing had approached her about various issues. She noted that housing had become a problem in faculty retention and recruitment. She wanted some background from the SEC. At the same time, she pointed out that there was no pot of money.

      Bley-Vroman said that the CAB subcommittee on facilities and auxiliary services had made two reports to the previous chancellor on the question and that the previous chancellor had appointed a Task Force on the issue. VCF Cutshaw should have the details.

The meeting adjourned at 6:00pm.

Faithfully submitted
Robert Valliant


main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

University of Hawaii | UH Manoa | UH Links | UHPA | Board of Regents