main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes of October 10, 2005

Present: SEC: Chairman Robert Bley-Vroman, Noel Kent, Bill Lampe, Barry Raleigh, Martha Staff, Jim Tiles and Robert Valliant. Also present Dean of Social Sciences Dick Dubinowski (2:15--2:55pm), VCRGE Gary Ostrander (2:55--3:30pm), Interim Chancellor Denise Konan and Executive Assistant Myrtle Yamada (4:30--5:25pm), VCAA Neal Smatresk (4:30--5:00).

Senate Secretary Charlotte Mitsutani was present.

  1. The meeting was called to order at 2:15pm by Vice Chair Jim Tiles. Chair Robert Bley-Vroman was detained. He came in at 2:20pm.
  2. Meeting with Dean of Social Sciences Dick Dubinowski, representing the deans and directors.

    Dean Dubinowski came to discuss the Chancellor search and the position of the deans and directors on the question of the make-up of the search committee and the committee chair. He made it clear that he could only speak for himself. He was representing Dean Andy Hashimoto who was unavailable.

    Dean Dubinowski said that the deans and directors wanted 3 representatives on the search committee. These 3 would come from the 3 different types of units: research, professional and non-professional. During the last chancellor search there had been only two deans, and all felt that they had not provided wide-spread representation.

    The SEC and Dean Dubinowski disagreed over the proportion of deans to faculty on the committee, on whether there should be 3 deans and 3 faculty or 3 deans and 4 faculty or some other numbers.

    On the question of the chair, Dean Dubinowski said that the deans and directors did not want a community person and that someone from the BOR would not be a good idea, either. He said that he personally would have no objection to a faculty member as chair.

    Both the SEC and Dean Dubinowski agreed that it would be best to exclude interim deans from the search committee and that the chair should not be from the BOR or the community. All recognized that neither the deans nor the faculty could represent their own constituencies, they must represent, and be seen as representing the campus as a whole for the process to succeed.

  3. Meeting with VCRGE Gary Ostrander
    1. Kent leaves the room
    2. Graduate Council

      VCRGE Ostrander reported that Associate Dean of Graduate Division Peter Garrod considered the Graduate Council to be advisory to the Faculty Senate or SEC since it ultimately recommends to the Faculty Senate. He said that Dean Garrod wanted good people with no ax to grind on the council and that Dean Garrod was willing to let the Faculty Senate appoint the council if the Council were given the authority to approve degrees, etc. VCRGE suggested that it might be best if the SEC talked directly to Dean Garrod.

    3. UARC

      VCRGE Ostrander noted that the UARC question would go to the Board of Regents on November 16. There was no December BOR meeting.

      Several members of the SEC pointed out that the Senate could not act until it had the final report from the Ad Hoc Committee, but that could not be finished until the lawyers had finished their due diligence. The after the Senate voted it would probably go to the Faculty Congress for a meeting and a vote. This could take 3--4 weeks. The SEC hoped to have the Ad Hoc Committee report on the agenda of the next Senate meeting (Oct 19), but right now it could not be sure.

      The question of the general public meeting that Interim President David McClain had promised came up. Chair Bley-Vroman said that this would be held when the proposal was in the sphere of the BOR and that BOR members would be present at the meeting.

    4. CGPRB

      The SEC told VCRGE Ostrander that the Senate had objected to the way in which the Center for Genomics, Proteneomics and Bioinformatics Research had been set up. Chair Bley-Vroman explained that the previous administration had tried to get the CGPRB through the Faculty Senate as a real center. The Senate had refused and that the previous chancellor had set it up anyway.

      VCRGE Ostrander explained that there were too many centers that provided service functions and were subsidized by the Chancellor's Office. He said that the CGPRB was not really a center for core research, and when the director had come to him for more funding to do gene sequencing, he had said no. CGPRB funding would continue through 2007. After that there would be new discussions. He said that the CGPRB had new equipment and could do gene sequencing better and cheaper than other campus facilities. He noted that a report on the centers would be forthcoming shortly.

    5. JABSOM

      Concerning JABSOM and research, VCRGE Ostrander said that when JABSOM had been returned to Manoa from the System level, he had said that the School would be treated the same as any other, meaning that its RTRF would be the same. He pointed out that in the late 1990s JABSOM had been getting 19--20 RO-1 grants a year from NIH, but that number was now down to 7--8. To him that meant the quality of the work should be examined.

    6. Biohazard Facility

      VCRGE Ostrander explained that this was a System initiative. NIH would put up about 25% of the funding and the state's share would be 12%. When the original proposal had gone out, JABSOM reported to the System.

      He said that he wanted to make it clear that this was a state project, but that UHM would manage it. It would serve all agencies, not just the university. He said that it would take about a year and a half for the environmental impact assessment and public meetings.

      He left the meeting at 3:30pm.

  4. Approval of Oct 3 minutes

    Kent returns.

    The minutes of Oct 3 were approved with the stipulation that all would agree to the last minute change which was not included in the copy before the committee, but was on the website.

    Noel Kent distributed copies of a document on UHM military contracting and possible conflicts of interest. The SEC decided to ask CAB's advice on whether these issues should be taken up.

  5. Chair's Report

    Bley-Vroman reported on his meeting with the deans and directors. He noted that Dean Andy Hashimoto supported the concept of a Regent as chair of the search committee. Dean Hashimoto also suggested looking at the Oregon model for conducting a search.

  6. Business of the Day
    1. Search Committee

      The SEC recognized that it had reached an impasse with the deans and directors over the composition of the search committee.

      Tiles said that he was afraid the search was being seen as one of constituencies to be satisfied. Bley-Vroman replied that Interim President McClain had established a policy in April 2005, laying out the constituencies as half university, half non-university.

      The SEC then discussed the Oregon model, a two stage process, and came up with a plan that involved a search committee and a smaller screening committee, which was really a subset of the search committee.

      The screening committee, made up of faculty and deans, would look at all of the applicants and come up with a ``long short list'' of about 10 people. This committee might consist of 7 faculty and 3 deans.

      The full committee, composed of the screening committee and the representatives of the various other constituencies would meet and develop the ``short short list''.

      APT, GSO, ASUH, Community, Civil Service, Alumni, Kuali'i Council, etc.

      All agreed that this idea needed refining and fleshing out, but it was a way to break the stalemate with the deans and directors.

    2. Search Firm

      Bley-Vroman pointed out that a good search firm could help with the search because it would know all the search models. However, we would need a clear concept of what we wanted.

      The SEC decided to ask the Interim Chancellor to come to the SEC with search firm recommendations.

    3. Committee appointments

      Lampe noted that an additional senator, Daniel Port, had been appointed to CAPP by Linda Cox, chair of the Committee on Faculty Service. He said that only the SEC can appoint people to committees. The SEC then voted to approve Port's appointment to CAPP.

    4. West Oahu position

      Bley-Vroman said that Interim President McClain would try to refuse to transfer the position from the College of Education to West Oahu. He noted that Interim President McClain had asked Walter Kirimitsu, VP for Legal Affairs / University General Counsel for an opinion. Linda Johnsrud, Interim VP for Academic Planning and Policy has been asked to check with WASC for any issues it might raise about the transfer.

    5. Other

      Lampe raised an issue of governance. He said that VCAA Neal Smatresk was treating Tom Hilgers, Director of the Manoa Writing Program, as Director of GenEd. He isn't. Lampe wanted the SEC to consider the question.

  7. Interim Chancellor Denise Konan
    1. West Oahu Position Transfer

      The Interim Chancellor reported that Interim President McClain had made an executive decision not to transfer the position. Moreover, Manoa had put a position in the Supplemental Budget to get a position back. She said the University was contacting WASC to ask about accreditation implications. She noted that some had seen this as retaliation by Senator Clayton Hee, chair of the Senate Higher Education Committee, but that there was no evidence of this.

      She noted that Dean Randy Hitz had met with Representative Tommy Waters, chair of the House Higher Education Committee, and reported that Water might be willing to talk about it.

      VCAA Neal Smatresk said that he had spoken with Senator Hee and that the Senator would not return the position under any circumstances; that the transfer had been made to strengthen Hawaiian language instruction in the State.

    2. Interim Appointments and CAB Discussion

      Interim Chancellor Konan reported that the BOR wanted to decrease the number of interim appointments. Currently 50 out of 200 E&M appoints are either interim or acting.

    3. Year of the Student

      The Interim Chancellor said that it was time to move toward a more action-oriented approach. She said that she was trying to decide whether to appoint a special Task Force or simply to task existing groups. She brought a draft plan.

      VCAA Neal Smatresk assured the SEC that things had been happening, but in the background, that he wanted to work with CAPP before beginning the public move. The draft plan was a chance to get buy-in.

      Both the Interim Chancellor and Vice Chancellor noted that the administration has a large amount of survey data from the NSSE and Senior Survey, which had been changed last year.

      The SEC reported to the Interim Chancellor and VCAA that CAPP would be re-establishing a Subcommittee on Admissions which would also include representatives from the Committee on Athletics and Committee on Student Affairs.

      VCAA Smatresk explained the draft plan and pointed to the section called ``Enhance the Manoa Experience''. He said that although there were issues with Honors College the faculty could get behind it as a means of enhancing the undergraduate experience. He noted that he had ``pulled the plug'' on the Rainbow Advantage Program, but that there had been some successes from the ACE program. He also said that there was a committee of researchers working to bring undergraduates into research projects as a way of enhancing their experience.

      Tiles pointed out that the SEC had just received a memo from Patricia Fryer, chair of the GEC, on faculty mentoring. Fryer suggested that the goal of providing a faculty mentor for every student was ``essentially unrealistic''.

    4. Chancellor Search

      Chair Bley-Vroman explained the SEC just-made-up model of a search (see above) to the Interim Chancellor, Vice Chancellor and Executive Assistant.

      The Interim Chancellor reported that in her meetings with Interim President McClain he had suggested the California model, which involved 3 stages.

      The Interim Chancellor noted that the new SEC model was different from the previous model, that the role of the stakeholders was different.

      The SEC emphasized that this new model was an attempt to break the deadlock with the deans.

      The Interim Chancellor and Executive Assistant left the meeting at 5:25.

  8. Senate Meeting & Agenda

    The SEC decided that it would go ahead with the regular Senate meeting and draw up an agenda via email---in hopes that the Ad Hoc Committee could finish its report on the UARC. There are resolutions left over from the last Senate meeting that need to be dealt with and the Committee on Athletics will bring forward another resolution on alcohol and behavior.

  9. Documents received
    1. Memo from UHM GEC Chair Patricia Fryer to SEC regarding Faculty Mentoring for General Education, October 10, 2005
    2. from VCAA: (Draft) Year of the Student commitments, undated
    3. Memo from Manoa Faculty Senate Chair Robert Bley-Vroman to Interim Chancellor Denise Konan regarding the Transfer of Position from Manoa to West Oahu, September 30, 2005
    4. Memo from R.Kelly Aune, Interim Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, to James Caron, Director, Honors Program, and David Ross, Chair Committee on Policy and Planning, regarding the Honors Program, March 31, 2005

The meeting adjourned at 5:40pm.

Faithfully submitted
Robert Valliant


main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

University of Hawaii | UH Manoa | UH Links | UHPA | Board of Regents