main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes of October 9, 2006

Minutes SEC meeting
October 9, 2006

Present: Jim Tiles, Sara Rutter, Bill Lampe, Rosanne Harrigan, Linda Cox

SEC met with Gary Ostrander 2 p.m.

JABSOM Dean Search

SEC will send representative to JABSOM, to sit in on JABSOM faculty meeting with candidates. There will also be an open forum at the Campus Center

Harrigan brought up an issue that COR has been discussing regarding the compensation departments are being told to pay for a short fall in accounts received from grants. Ostrander explained that there is a $6.5 million debt. When OVCRGE sampled to find out the cause of the deficit they found that 1) faculty did not fill out reports so did not receive final funds 2) ORS didn’t process in a timely manner and 3) the funding entity went into arrears and the research continued though the grant money wasn’t coming in. Ostrander said that he wrote as much of the debt off as possible but still had $6.5 million to account for. The debt has been floated in many accounts for years. Ostrander is paying half of the debt out of RTRF and the other half will be paid by the units affected amortized over 10years. He is taking the funds out of the RTRF that goes back to those units and at most it is 1-2% of the 50% they usually get back. Ex: PBRC had a $120,000 deficit because expected money from a struggling biotech company was not received, so instead of $460,000 RTRF they will receive $450,000 in the FY. To ensure that this kind of deficit never occurs again a new process is being instituted by ORS in which periodic courtesy letters will be sent to grant PI's to get the paper work completed. After 90 days, and three courtesy letters, if there is money left over, the OVCRGE will take it, if there is a deficit, the unit will be paying for it. Ostrander said that he had talked to deans and directors to explain the remedy, sending out spreadsheets so that every dean and director knew what their unit had to return.

JABSOM funding

Ostrander described the funding mechanism through which JABSOM receives funds and through which the school could receive more. The funding depends on generating income through billable hours provided by JABSOM faculty to hospitals. Because there is uneven participation in the plan among departments and within departments, JABSOM does not receive the 10% tax that goes back into the plan. Ostrander expects that a stipulation in all new hire letters will be that they must participate in the plan that generates income for JABSOM. Ostrander is looking for a new CFO for JABSOM, and as it is essential to have someone with a high level of expertise, he has arranged for JABSOM to share 50:50 a CFO with the primary practice plan, USERA (sp) that has a contract with JABSOM. Ostrander said that he is concentrating for his first 60 day on fixing the finances of JABSOM and also needs the JABSOM faculty to be fully engaged in the academic side of their jobs. He is working toward increased transparency of JABSOM for the campus and for the chancellor’s office. He is also meeting with legislators to make sure they know that he is the point person for information about JABSOM.

There has not been a real business plan that Ostrander can find for JABSOM—he noted that the idea of depending on indirect cost recovery would not generate enough funds. The unit at UH Manoa that has the highest indirect cost recovery collects only at a 25% rate and JABSOM was collecting at a 12% rate. JABSOM should be able to generate 30% of its finances from the practice plan; this is common at medical schools.

He is also collecting all of the commitments that JABSOM faculty have been promised, positions, etc. and he is concerned that accreditation is in the next couple of years. He said that JABSOM seems like a wonderful vision that went out to quickly without an infrastructure to sustain the vision.

Meeting of SEC

Agenda for October 18th Senate meeting was finalized.

Lampe will be liaison to CoA in Martha’s absence so that a resolution to support the FAR’s academic policy can be formally approved by the senate.

CAB will report a recommendation for the senate to support a forum organized by the Center for Public Policy to discuss the proposed constitutional amendment regarding how BOR regents are appointed.

SEC is asking for responses from the standing committees via their chairs, to the draft WASC proposal.

Enrollment manager search

Martha Staff will be asked to be on search committee for enrollment manager as the SEC rep. If Martha has already been asked in another capacity, Bill will be the backup.

Meeting with Neal Smatresk

Neal talked about the developing WASC proposal and Ralph Wolff’s reaction to the draft. The values and core competencies piece was well received but assessment needs to be included, for example, the NSSE with some additional questions. The draft proposal is also light on research and how Manoa will integrate research into the undergraduate experience.

Neal said that WASC is looking at not only institutional assessment but how we embed assessment, consciously trying to improve our use of assessment. Bill noted that CAB is concerned about funding support for assessment.

The discussion revolved around where the assessment council described in the draft should be located in the governance structure. It was recommended that assessment be a faculty senate committee. The SEC will appoint a task force to develop a charter for the assessment committee. Members of the Manoa Academic Assessment Council will be recruited for the Senate assessment committee that will take its place.

The Collegiate Learning Assessment test is designed to test critical thinking skills. The lack of assessment of general education has been a WASC vulnerability for Manoa and needs to be addressed. Bill noted that there is a national discussion about defining "numeracy," and the math department does use assessment for their major programs.

The WASC visiting team for the special visit in March will include an expert in first year programs from South Carolina. Another expert that Wolff recommended for the WASC special visit is someone from Georgia Tech who has developed assessment methods that are incorporated in the data the IRO gathers. This person may be invited to Manoa to give workshops on assessment.

SEC committee liaisons will ask the chairs of the standing committees to gather comments about the WASC draft sent out to the faculty senate as soon as possible.

Meeeting with Heather Crislip

Crislip met with SEC to go over a report on faculty housing. She said that there is a need for 15 to 20 units for incoming new faculty in fall. Administration is looking at strategies to find money through endowments, etc. The biennium budget has a request for two to three FTE and planning money to start a real estate office to buy properties around the campus that can be managed for faculty and student housing. Looking at long term faculty housing. Ostrander is working with Kamehameha schools to build housing in Kaka’ako. Cutshaw is working closely with the faculty housing tenant group. Salary issues are one of the big reasons faculty are staying in what should be temporary housing. Crislip will fill in some gaps in the report and give to Tiles for distribution to the senate.

Meeting with Chancellor Konan

The Chancellor, with Heather Crislip, met with SEC. She talked about the all day campus planning day, November 2nd, which will be a state of the university presentation and present plans in poster sessions. Many groups will have posters. There will also be breakout sessions on the honors program, international education, advancement (community outreach, promotion of the campus), retention, and assessment. SEC is invited to have posters about governance. The two goals set for the planning day are 1) broad awareness of the many things going on at Manoa and 2) real planning opportunities in break out sessions in the afternoon.

The Chancellor asked which units have faculty senates and Tiles said that that information will be on the poster, he would give her a list. (They all send reps to the ACCFSC.)

The Chancellor reported that she and Herman Frazier want more faculty to attend UH football games and so there will be an offer of 2 for 1 tickets for faculty for the homecoming game. Another bus to take faculty to and from the game was recommended. The Centennial plans were discussed. The plans are being bounced off of several groups both within the university and in the community. Event planning needs to be done very soon so that announcements can go out. The Chancellor can allocate some Foundation funds to the centennial plans—also athletics, alum association, foundation are looking for ways to raise money. May use tuition dollars to fund some of it as it can be a recruitment tool.

"Back to school day," is an outreach event offering free classes to the community on a Friday and Saturday. The president of the alumni association is involved.

Neal Smatresk and Chancellor

Arts and Sciences student advising this fall has been severely challenged; the A&S advising department has had staffing losses and the department has found it difficult to respond to very real problems in providing academic advising for new students. First year and undecided students all go to A&S academic advising. This department reported to Ron Cambra who has been moved from A&S to the OVCAA. The Chancellor and Neal would like to see advising distributed into the departments and that first year students should be all department’s responsibilities, not only A&S. A proposal to have 1) first year and undecided students go to a First Year Center, which will be under an Asst VC for undergraduate education in the OVCAA. As soon as a student declares a major, they will be channeled to their major. To support this, the Chancellor wants to see more dedicated resources for the colleges so that for example a pre-med student will be associated with Natural Sciences early in their career. There are serious retention issues with first year students. In A&S the advising system requires multiple signoffs to register for a class, while other departments, schools, have streamlined the process so a student talks to one person. Neal and the Chancellor are hoping that once STAR is pushed out, it will help in getting correct advising. The effective delivery of advising to students has not been something that chairs or deans have been held accountable for as a performance measure. CTAHR, Engineering, Nursing do a good job. The Chancellor and Neal want to 1) increase resources into the First Year Center and 2) move advising into the colleges, essentially breaking up the academic advising department in A&S to affiliate advisors to each school. For the immediate crisis, Neal and the Chancellor propose a sequence in which first year and undeclared students see one of five staff peer advisors, or other advisors pulled in from other units as a stop gap measure so that at least for the first semester they’ll have their classes sorted out. A question was asked about the program and curriculum committee of A&S and its status now that Ron Cambra is in the OVCAA. The Chancellor will ask the A&S SEC to come up with a plan for PCC. There are PCC’s in schools and colleges and each operates with different levels of red tape and stringency.


main | roster | committees | current session | minutes | documents | links | site index

University of Hawaii | UH Manoa | UH Links | UHPA | Board of Regents

Last modified 10/23/06
Contact srutter at hawaii.edu with comments regarding this site.