Manoa Faculty Senate Annual Committee Report 2007-08
Committee on Athletics (COA)
The 2007 - 2008 COA did the following:
Investigated the definition of Good Academic Standing
- Question of whether an athletic with less than a 2.0 GPA should be allowed to participate.
- No clear system or campus-wide definition.
- One view is that students not on academic probation are in good academic standing
Approved the Athletics Reorganization Plan
- Prior organizational chart predates the redefinition of the Faculty Athletics Representative (FAR) position that occurred in 2004-05, as part of the reorganization of the Chancellor's office
- Committee suggested the organization chart should indicate that the FAR reports to the Manoa Faculty Senate
Discussed Athletics control over its facilities maintenance and repairs
- Facilities maintenance is not addressed in the current reorganization proposal
- Currently all grounds-keeping and custodial services, not just for the Athletics Department but for all of the lower campus (which includes several classrooms and buildings that are not part of Athletics), are currently assigned to the Athletics Department rather than to Facilities Management
- Control might become the subject of discussion with the new head of Facilities Management
Athletics “Fight Song”
- Committee approved suggested change to “Fight Song” to reflect gender neutrality, proposed by the Chancellor
- Forwarded proposal to the Manoa Faculty Senate
Checked on the status of the claims made by a former athlete
- An internal review committee investigated the matter
- A report was sent to the Chancellor
- Committee also read and discussed reports of similar claims and investigations from other universities
Report on academic progress of student-athletes
- FAR unable to submit report in Fall 2007 due to questions that were finally resolved. The report was in the Spring 2008 semester
- FAR made a brief report to MFS and introduced the Interim Athletics Director, Carl Clapp.
Future COA Meetings
- Because of all of the turmoil regarding the football coach and the Athletics Director (AD), the Chancellor was unable to meet with the Committee on Athletics this year
- Committee wishes to schedule meetings with the Chancellor new AD next semester
Submitted by Martha Crosby, chair[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Contact dave at math.hawaii.edu with comments regarding this site.