Mānoa Faculty Senate Committee on Administration and Budget Minutes of January 21, 2010
Approved at CAB meeting on February 10, 2010.
Hawaii Hall room 208
Present: members David Duffy, Robert Cowie, David Ericson, Betsy Fisher, Torben Nielsen, David Chin (chair), Weillin Qu, John Casken ( secretary).
Excused: Shirley Daniel (SEC liaison), Denise Antolini, Douglas Vincent.
Meeting opened at nine o'clock by chair Chin,
1. Draft minutes from December 8 were reviewed and on a motion by Nielsen seconded by Cowie were approved with corrections.
2. Reports from Subcommittees:
a. PBRC: reported that on January 19 the VCRGE had declared, though not in writing, that none of the candidates for the position of interim director PBRC were acceptable. The freedom of information request, on the Kewalo Marine Laboratory Lease, that had been sent to the Chancellor's office had not been answered within the legal time limits.
b. Budget information from deans: the VC AA has accepted the material presented by Bley-Vroman and is asking that it be presented by the CAB at one of his meetings with deans and directors.
c. Centers: only 75 centers have responded. It was noted that some centers, which in essence were sub-centers of other centers, might feel that the overarching center should have responded for the. Duffy did not feel it was his job to keep bugging the centers that have not responded.
d. Return of tuition: spirited discussion on a variety of ways of making sure that any tuition increase went those departments and faculty at that earned increase. However noted that no formula was foolproof suggested that the VC AA be invited to the CAB to discuss the issue and ways of rewarding the push for increased enrollment. A possible Senate resolution on this issue was suggested to obtain more buy-in from faculty on the issue. There was stress on the need for more transparency at the deans’ level -see item 2b.
e. Enrollment management: Reported from the members who reviewed this issue tht the understanding is that the increase in student numbers has been through the work of the VC for students. The VC AA is not worried by the structural changes that have been suggested – he does not think that they would damage his goals. Suggestion of a joint resolution from the CAB and CAPP . No final decision.
3. Task Force on Budget: This task force has not yet met . They will be presenting to the Congress/Senate on February 17.
4. Tuition increases: Noted that these may increase in 2012. Reported that VP Johnsrud is working on the issue.
5. SEC resolution on Fiscal Transparency. CAB decided to defer consideration of the resolution until after the Budget Task Force had the chance to meet system fiscal people and VP Toto has presented to the Congress/Senate.
Meeting adjourned at 10:20 AM
Minutes submitted by John Casken
Minutes approved at CAB meeting on February 10, 2010
Contact caroly at hawaii.edu with comments regarding this site.