Mānoa Faculty Senate Assessment Committee
Minutes of January 25, 2010
Members Present: Paul Brandon, Erica Clayton, Jon Goss, Phillip Ooi, Jim Wills, Cindy Hunter, Hazel Beh, Amy Schiffner, and Wayne Iwaoka
Ex-officio members excused: Halina Zaleski
Guests: Marlene Lowe and Monica Stitt-Bergh (Assessment Office)
Meeting called to order by Paul Brandon: 12:30 p.m.
I. The meeting agenda was presented and accepted by common consent.
II. Minutes of the January 4, 2010, meeting were reviewed and approved (unanimous).
III. Discussion on Resolution on Student Learning Outcomes
· Senate President suggested we just need three key statements because faculty and programs should already have SLO’s. MAC should remove most of the Whereas’s.
· Discussion ensued:
- General consensus among MAC that resolution be downsized in some manner.
- Assessment Office said that 80% of faculty have SLO’s on their course syllabi.
- Should we have handouts available for explanation or rationale at Senate meeting?
- The resistance? It might be suggested that there will be loss of academic freedom or faculty suspicious that administration taking over the classroom. Faculty might be afraid of accountability.
- A vote was taken; the committee unanimously approved redrafting resolution by keeping Whereas # 1, 7, 8, 9 and all the Be it resolved.
- Paul will rework resolution and put it on Laulima.
- Wayne will bring new resolution to GSO meeting on Jan. 27 requesting GSO to pass a motion or resolution supporting the resolution.
IV. Discussion of the Assessment Office’s Planning Document
· Please give feedback to Assessment Office on their planning document. Monica will send the latest document to MAC members via email attachment.
· Given WASC recommendation, there was discussion on how to get ILO’s incorporated into policy.
· Question raised as to who should push for the development of a strategic plan.
· How do we get faculty involvement in development of ILO’s?
· It was agreed that MAC should participate in the development of ILO’s and should lead effort.
V. Discussion of status of the assessment policies and the Policy Subcommittee
· Paul reminded everyone that the Policy Subcommittee will meet in his office in Castle Memorial Bldg on Monday, February 1.
VI. Announcement about the English Department’s invitation to MAC
· Paul, Monica, and Marlene met with Mark Heberle, chair of the English Department.
VII. Assessment Office Announcements
· Monica and Marlene met with Kristina and Reed and they offered help to the AO.
VIII. Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 1:50 p.m.
Wayne Iwaoka, Rotating Secretary
Contact caroly at hawaii.edu with comments regarding this site.