Mānoa Faculty Senate Committee on Athletics
Minutes of September 8, 2010
Introduction of members all present except Chad Koyanagi
- Kelley Withy elected chair of COA
- Discussion of Athletic Advisory Board and it’s concept.
- Discussion of liaison to AAB and COA Rosanne asked to clarify with SEC if this needs to be 2 people.
- Discussion and clarification by Peter Nicholson of his position.
- Discussions of past COA topics
- Discussion of report generated by AAB needing to be made available to all MFS or only SEC. Peter to discuss with chancellor. Next one will be coming out in a month, if not shared with faculty senate, COA may make a recommendation regarding broader sharing of information
- Discussion of concern over student athlete safety in regard to concussions. Kelley will ask Dr. Andy Nichols, UH team physician, to attend the next meeting.
- To do list for COA this year from MFS Exec Committee:
- Complimentary tickets policy (COA, CPM): The IRS considers complimentary tickets as a fringe benefit and an addition to the actual money paid to each employee, unless their personal attendance is required at the event in order to perform their job duties (United States Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Sections 132 & 162 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 ). COA should review UH complimentary ticket policy and internal controls to ensure compliance and avoid scandals (e.g., KSU @ http://theshiver.com/2010/05/ticket-scandal-full-report/ ). The joint COA/CPM working group should also consider whether this rule affects students attending games for free and report to the Senate in January 2011.
- Role of athletics (COA): The Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics model resolution “Academics First” and the Knight Commission recommendations on “Restoring the Balance” should be reviewed and recommendations made to the Manoa Senate at the November 2010 meeting regarding adoption of all or part of it with any appropriate amendments to clarify Senate policy on athletics.
- NCAA recertification (COA): COA should actively participate in NCAA recertification, monitor process, and review documents and make a report to the Senate in December 2011.
Contact caroly at hawaii.edu with comments regarding this site.