Has sex assault occurred? Here's what to do.
  1. Go to a safe place.
  2. Report the assault to police (911) or campus security (956-6911). UH campus security is available 24 hours a day. Campus security is accessible to you whether you live on or off campus.
  3. Call a family member, friend or campus advocate. If you live in the dorms, there are in-residence counselors (pager: 252-1593), who also live in the dorms, that are available to help you 24-hours a day.
  4. Preserve all physical evidence of the assault. Do not shower or brush your teeth, and save all of the clothing you were wearing at the time. Place all garments in a paper (not plastic) bag.
  5. You can call the Sex Abuse Treatment Center (524-7273). They will send a counselor to meet you at Kapi`olani Medical Center for Women and Children. There, you will receive special treatment from one of their doctors. All of their services are free and confidential.
  6. Go to Kapi`olani Medical Center for Women and Children (983-6000) emergency room at 1319 Punahou Street. This
    hospital provides medical care for sexual assault victims, and not all hospitals provide the specialized forensic care you’ll need. A medical examination is important because it can protect you from possible injuries, STDs and pregnancy resulting from the assault.
  7. Write down as much as you can remember about the circumstances of the assault, including a description of the assailant.
  8. Talk with a counselor who is trained to assist victims about the emotional and physical impacts of the assault. You can reach either the Women’s Center or Student Counseling (956-7927) to talk to a trained counselor.
  9. To get information about legal issues you can contact the Sex Abuse Treatment Center (524-7273) or the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (1-800-656-HOPE).