Intro to Medicare Course
We are pleased to announce the offering of the Intro to Medicare course as a partnership between the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa Myron B. Thompson School of Social Work and the Hawaiʻi State Department of Health Executive Office on Aging (EOA) – Hawaii State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)!
Are you a future health educator, social worker, or patient navigator? Do you want to make essential lasting change for our kūpuna who rely on Medicare related services? Would you benefit from quality hands-on experience with health insurance systems?
Intro to Medicare aims to provide students with a continuum of skills-based learning on the flagship Medicare program through targeted online Medicare training accompanied by in-person facilitated case study and real-world community engagement. Hawai`i’s population of older adults is at 18% and growing fast. It is important now more than ever to safeguard our future and protect our kūpuna’s health and well being.
Introduction to Medicare
PH660/SW680 – 3 credits
- Complete the 4-week nationwide Medicare Course Training (20 hours)
- Receive valuable class session reinforcement working with real world case scenarios (15 hours)
- Further supplement your hands-on learning experience by designing and implementing a 50 hour service learning project aimed at aiding real Medicare beneficiaries
- Receive a $500 scholarship supported by the Executive Office on Aging upon successful course completion
SUPER EASY Application
Submit your application by November 8, 2020 via Google Form — https://forms.gle/pRCbR2f5DrVth2tX6
1. Personal Statement on your interest in this course (no more than 300 words)
Resume (one page)
Applications submitted after November 8th may be considered on a rolling basis until all spots are filled.
2. Mid-November, students will receive acceptance notifications pending successful completion of required SHIP forms including a background check and reference check. Upon Final Acceptance, students will be provided an override code to enroll in the course.
All students must be present at the first class on January 15, 2021 to secure their spot in the Intro the Medicare course.
“Everything about this course is valuable. I gained knowledge and skills to navigate my patients in Medicare eligibility and benefits.”
“I am proud to have been part of this inaugural course and I hope it will be around for other students for years to come. This course was a great way to get in the community and work with various partners to gain experience, and taking that experience and making these wonderful products.”
“For it being a pilot course, and us being the test cohort, we believe that this course is beneficial to the field of public health.”