Systemwide Events Calendar
Phoebe Cummings: CellaFebruary 24, 2013 - April 5, 2013
Manoa Campus, Art Building, Unversity of Hawai'i Art Gallery
Material and process are crucial elements for artist Phoebe Cummings. She uses unfired clay to create unique, temporary installations in response to each specific place or venue. Cummings works on site to produce multitudes of small, shaped pieces of clay that are put together to develop larger pieces that eventually change and disintegrate over time. Previous installations have included delicate, miniature landscapes and works of dense, ethereal flowers and foliage. Captured as a memory or photograph, her ephemeral works accentuate and contrast with the labor-intensive processes involved in its creation.
Illuminated by dramatic lighting, a cave-like environment with works evocative of stalagmites and stalactites is at the center of the plans for "Phoebe Cummings: Cella," an intriguing, site-specific installation at the University of Hawai‘i Art Gallery. She will begin by pressing wet clay through a fine wire mesh, similar to that of a tea strainer, to produce a small mass of closely clustered strands. Hundreds of clusters will be prepared and carefully connected to construct the larger forms. Since the works are made of unfired clay, they will continue to evolve throughout the duration of the exhibition. Images and videos of the artist at work on this installation will be projected on the walls of the gallery.
Photo: Phoebe Cummings, work-in-progress (raw clay) Camden Arts Centre, London 2012 photo by: Sylvain Deleu.
Gallery hours: Monday - Friday 10:30-5:00; Sunday 12:00-5:00. Closed Saturdays; Spring Break, Mar. 25-29; Easter, Mar. 31. Admission is free. Donations are appreciated. Parking fees may apply.
Department of Art and Art History; College of Arts and Humanities; and Mānoa Arts & Minds, Manoa Campus
Sharon Tasaka, 956-6888, email@example.com, http://www.hawaii.edu/art/exhibitions/art_gallery/
|Sunday, March 3|
|7:30am||The Wellness Center - Fitness Class Schedule
Maui Campus, Pilina Bldg., Wellness Center
|9:00am||Creativity on the Go: iPhoto, iMovie, and Garageband for the iPad
Manoa Campus, UHM Law School Classroom 1
|1:00pm||Free Commuter Cycling 101 Workshop
Manoa Campus, Moore 112
- Highlighted dates have scheduled events.
- Select the date to view all events for that day.
- Lineage : A Family Tree of Printmakers
- The White Rose : nonviolent resistance against the Nazi regime
- Arts Exhibition: Ainu Treasures: A Living Tradition in Northern Japan
- Biggest Loser Challenge
- Contemporary Photography in Hawaii 2013
- Phoebe Cummings: Cella
- L. Stephen Lau Water Research Endowed Scholarship 2013
- 3rd International Conference on Language Documentation & Conservation
- 3rd International Conference on Language Documentation & Conservation (ICLDC)
- 11th Annual Temple Emanu-El Kirk Cashmere Jewish Film Festival
- Liminal, an MFA thesis exhibition by Jessica Orfe