Systemwide Events Calendar
Go for Broke: Japanese American Soldiers Fighting on Two FrontsMarch 31, 2014 - April 11, 2014
West O'ahu Campus, UH West Oʻahu Library
From March 31 to April 11, the University of Hawai‘i – West O‘ahu Library will host Go for Broke: Japanese American Soldiers Fighting on Two Fronts, a traveling exhibit commemorating the role of Japanese American soldiers during World War II.
Go for Broke features photographs, oral history excerpts, and facsimiles of historic documents about the 100th, 442nd and 522nd units, and famed Military Intelligence Service. The exhibit was originally created in 1980 through the efforts of more than 100 Nisei (second generation Japanese American) veterans in the San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles. It was originally shown at the Presidio of San Francisco and toured throughout the United States for nearly 10 years.
Go for Broke explains the impact of the Nisei soldiers’ war record on the postwar civil rights of Japanese Americans and how it contributed to the successful passing of House Resolution 442 that resulted in the Civil Liberties Act of 1988. Curated by veteran historian Eric Saul, whose Japanese American exhibits were featured at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. and the Japanese American National Museum in Los Angeles, Go for Broke preserves the legacy of Japanese American soldiers’ World War II experience for generations to come.
Go for Broke is sponsored by the Nisei Veterans Legacy Center and will be on display on the second floor of the UH West O‘ahu Library from March 31 – April 11. The exhibit is free and open to the public. UH West O‘ahu Chancellor Rockne Freitas will untie a maile lei at the opening of the exhibit on Monday, March 31 at 10:30 a.m. followed by a brief overview from Curator Eric Saul.
Go for Broke will be on display at the Honolulu Hale (City Hall) Exhibition Hall from April 14-25 and at the Maui Nisei Veterans Memorial Center on Maui from May 1 – June 13 following its stay at the UH West O‘ahu Library.
UH West Oʻahu Library, West O'ahu Campus
|Tuesday, April 1|
|9:00am||Nursing Final Oral
Manoa Campus, Webster 205
Manoa Campus, St. John Auditiorium (St. John, Room 011)
|12:00pm||Edible Book Contest
Manoa Campus, Hamilton Library Alcove
Manoa Campus, Kuykendall Auditorium
|6:00pm||Japanese Flower Arranging - Ikebana Sogetsu
Windward Campus, Hale Kuhina 115
- Highlighted dates have scheduled events.
- Select the date to view all events for that day.
- Our Musical Heritage: The Royal Hawaiian Band
- Na Pa'i Ki'i o Brother Bertram
- A World of Chinese Puppets from the Lin Liu-Hsin Museum, Taiwan
- i.KEA Inspiring Knowledge, Empowerment and Achievement
- TRIO-SSS Summer Bridge 2014
- Waikiki Parc Features Tonia Moreno
- YUAN: by Beili Liu
- Windward CC Art Faculty Exhibit at Gallery ‘Iolani
- Traveling Exhibit: Gardens of Hawaii
- Book Making in the 18th Century: In Diderot’s Encyclopedie, 1751-1780
- HI Pride T-Shirt Contest
- Candidates for ASUHWO Student Government
- Go for Broke: Japanese American Soldiers Fighting on Two Fronts
- "ART 336—Wearable Art" by Madeleine Soder's students