A variety of financial assistance is available for students pursuing Japanese studies at UH. Students should also inquire at their respective departments. For more information and to apply for scholarships administered through UH, go to UH Mānoa Student Scholarships (STAR) and enter the title of the award in the keyword search.

All deadlines and award amounts listed are general, and subject to change. Please contact the appropriate funding agency in advance for exact deadlines and amounts.

Awards administered through UH
  • Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship – Undergraduate ($10,000 towards tuition and a $5,000 stipend) For U.S. citizen or permanent resident undergraduate students who combine formal modern Japanese language training (3rd year level or higher) with area studies. To apply, go to UH Mānoa Student Scholarships (STAR).
  • Summer Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship ($2,500 and tuition up to $4,000) For U.S. citizen or permanent resident graduate and undergraduate students who will enroll in a formal program of intensive language study. Either 120 contact hours in advanced Japanese or 140 contact hours in intermediate Japanese are required. To apply, go to UH Mānoa Student Scholarships (STAR).
  • Ehime Prefectural Summer Internship (EPIC) was initiated to foster friendship between Ehime and Hawaiʻi. The EPIC Summer Internship sends two UHM students to Japan for approximately 60 days during May-August. This includes round-trip airfare, a living stipend, and housing. Applications are due in early February. See this page for more information and to apply.
  • James T. Araki Scholarship Fund in Japanese Literature provides scholarships to assist students enrolled in Japanese Literature classes in the the Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures at UHM College of Languages, Linguistics, and Literature. For more information and to apply, go to UH Mānoa Student Scholarships (STAR).
  • JTB Hawaii, Inc. Scholarship Endowment provide scholarships to students at UHM who are pursuing studies related to international relations, or academic programs with an international emphasis, with preference given to students studying or pursuing a degree related to Japanese or Okinawan studies. Funds shall be used for costs associated with attendance (e.g. tuition, books, fees, etc.). For more information and to apply, go to UH Mānoa Student Scholarships (STAR).
  • King David Kalakaua Scholarships are partial tuition scholarships for undergraduate students with a 3.5 GPA. Applicants must be studying in a major or well-designed program related to the Pacific and/or Asia regions. For more information and to apply, go to UH Mānoa Student Scholarships (STAR).
  • The Avis Morigawara Scholarship in Japanese Studies is available for undergraduates enrolled in a program focusing in Japanese Studies at UHM. Funds awarded are to be used with costs associated with attendance (e.g. tuition, books, fees, etc). For more information and to apply, go to UH Mānoa Student Scholarships (STAR).
  • The Ishi Sakurai Scholarship provides funds to full-time undergraduate students majoring in Asian History in the UHM Department of History. Applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above and must also have upper division class standing. For more information and to apply, go to UH Mānoa Student Scholarships (STAR).
  • Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) provides funding for undergraduate students to engage in for research, creative projects, and presentation travel.
  • Wakaba Kai Alumni Association Endowed Scholarship (approximately $1,000) provides funding support to junior or senior level students enrolled at UHM who are pursuing a degree with a focus in Japanese Studies or who are involved in a service that perpetuates Japanese history and/or culture. The prospective recipient should have graduated from a State of Hawaiʻi high school and be a resident of the Hawaiʻi. The 2020-21 application deadline is February 3, 2020. For more information and to apply, go to UH Mānoa Student Scholarships (STAR).
Awards administered outside of UH
  • Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship is a grant program of the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs for undergraduate student (US citizen who is currently receiving Pell Grant funding) to study overseas.  For more information and applications, visit https://www.gilmanscholarship.org/
  • Bridging Scholarships for Study Abroad in Japan are available to American undergraduate students participating in study-abroad programs in Japan. Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents and be enrolled in a college or university in the United States. Bridging scholarship recipients receive a stipend of $2,500 (for student on semester-long programs) or $4,000 (for students on academic year programs. For more information, visit http://www.aatj.org/studyabroad/japan-bridging-scholarships Deadline: early April and early October.
  • Freeman Awards for Study in Asia (Freeman-ASIA) is designed to increase the number of American undergraduates who study in East and Southeast Asia. Awards range from $3,000 to $7,000 depending on the length of the program. Students must demonstrate financial need in order to participate in the Freeman-Asia program. Priority will be given to students with no previous experience in Asia. As a condition of the award, upon their return to the US, students must agree to promote study in Asia by sharing their experiences with peers on their home campuses and in their communities. For more information and applications, see website: www.iie.org/freeman-asia/
  • Boren Fellowship and Scholarship is an initiative of the National Security Education Program that offers undergraduate scholarships for study abroad. Student must be a U.S. citizen at the time of application and enrolled as a degree seeking student in an accredited US college or university. Recipients are required to fulfill a service requirement. For more information and applications, visit Boren Awards. The UHM campus representative is Dr. Chizuko Allen; Moore 416B; (808) 956-2210; chizuko@hawaii.edu
  • Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaiʻi (JCCH) Scholarship is open to undergraduate junior or senior year students enrolled at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa with a major or minor in (1) Asian Studies with a concentration on Japan; (2) Japanese language or literature; or (3) American Studies with a focus on Japanese Americans. The JCCH Scholarship Program is supported by the Sekiya of Fukuoka/Hawai‘i Endowment Fund. The scholarship will award $2,500 each year. For more information and to apply, visit JCCH Scholarship Program.