For Students

A variety of financial assistance is available for students pursuing Japanese studies at UH. Students should also inquire at their respective departments. All deadlines and award amounts listed are general, and subject to change. Please contact the appropriate funding agency in advance for exact deadlines and amounts.

To join the CJS listserv which announces new scholarships, send an email to Dr. Gay Satsuma at gay [at]

Note: Most of the awards listed are for graduate students. However, the ones marked with an asterisk (*) are also available for undergraduate students and the ones marked with two asterisks (**) are available only for undergraduate students.


Additional Graduate Fellowship & Scholarship Opportunities


  • Center for Japanese Studies Graduate Fellowships ($15,000) For full-time graduate students.
  • John Fee Embree Scholarship (approximately $1,500) For full-time graduate students in anthropology or sociology who focus on Japan or Southeast Asia (offered alternative years; available for Japan-focus students in 2017-2018).This scholarship commemorates Anthropologist John Fee Embree (1908-1950) who studied Japanese culture and Japanese immigrants in Hawaii as well as South East Asia. He earned a B.A. from UHM and a PhD from the University of Chicago and taught at UHM before moving to Yale University.
  • Hanayo Sasaki Graduate Merit Scholarship (approximately $1,000) For full full-time graduate students. This scholarship is endowed by Mrs. Hanayo Sasaki of Honolulu.
  • Minae and Miki Kajiyama Graduate Scholarship (approximately $4,000) Preference given to students concentrating in one or more of the following areas: relations between Korea and Japan; Hiroshima and the atomic bomb; and Japanese emigration. This scholarship is based on the donation from Minae and Miki, the widow and daughter of Toshiyuki Kajiyama (1930-1975), a popular novelist and freelance journalist in Japan. Having numerous entertainment novels published, Mr. Kajiyama, born in Seoul, Korea, explored Korea, the atomic bomb, and Japanese immigrant related-issues for his lifetime work. The Hamilton Library has a special collection of books that he wrote and gathered for his works.
  • Tasuku Harada Graduate Scholarship in Japanese Studies (approximately $4,500) For full-time graduate students. This scholarship commemorates the first professor of Japanese studies at UHM, Dr. Tasuku Harada.
  • Takie Sugiyama Lebra Fellowship (approximately $3,000) For full-time graduate students enrolled in Japanese Studies at the UHM School of Pacific & Asian Studies. This fellowship is endowed by Dr. Takie Sugiyama Lebra, Professor Emerita of Anthropology, who taught at UHM from 1970 until her retirement in 1996.
  • Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship ($15,000 stipend and tuition) For US citizen or permanent resident graduate students who combine formal modern Japanese language training (3rd year level or higher) with area studies. Following federal guidelines, Ph.D. dissertation research or write-up will be given low priority in awarding FLAS fellowships.
  • Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship – Undergraduate ($10,000 towards tuition and a $5,000 stipend) For US citizen or permanent resident undergraduate students who combine formal modern Japanese language training (3rd year level or higher) with area studies.
  • Summer Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship ($2,500 and tuition up to $4,000) For US citizen or permanent resident graduate and undergraduate students who will enroll in a formal program of intensive language study. Either 120 contact hours in advanced Japanese or 140 contact hours in intermediate Japanese are required.
  • The Avis Morigawara Scholarship is available for undergraduates (approx. $1000)

Please note:

Students apply for the FLAS and CJS scholarships through the STAR system online. Students are automatically considered for ALL CJS scholarships when they submit their application online.

This year’s deadline for 2017-18 FLAS and CJS scholarship applications is February 6.

Applications for the FLAS and CJS scholarships must be made through the university’s online scholarship website.  For easy access, run a keyword search for ‘FLAS’ and ‘Center for Japanese Studies,’ respectively.  Student recommenders receive an email instructing them to submit a letter of recommendation on the applicant’s behalf upon student submission of the application.

New incoming students can apply on this web site using their student ID number (which is their 8-digit UH application/admission number).

Please be advised that the values for the Embree, Harada, Kajiyama, Lebra, and Sasaki endowed scholarships can vary from the above estimates.

For Assistance:
Dr. Chizuko Allen
Coordinator of Fellowships & Institutional Research
School of Pacific & Asian Studies, Moore 416B
University of Hawai’i at Manoa
Honolulu, HI 96822
tel: (808) 956-2210

Center for Japanese Studies (CJS) Graduate Student Travel Awards are for UHM graduate students who focus on Japan to present papers at conferences or attend advanced training workshop on the U.S. mainland and abroad. The award is up to $1,000 for airfare, per diem, and other conference-related expenses.

To apply, students should submit the seven items listed below, organized in that order. As a checklist, please write the corresponding number of each item below (#1 – #7) at the top right corner page of the item. An incomplete application may result in non-funding.

      1. Letter of acceptance or invitation (If student has not yet received official notice of acceptance, he/she should still submit the other application materials in anticipation of their paper being accepted.)
      2. CV
      3. Budget
      4. Paper abstract (written for the non-specialist)
      5. A conference flier, brochure, or schedule
      6. Letter from chief adviser
      7. Summary Sheet (click following links for a PDF or Microsoft Word format of the summary sheet).

Please submit applications with by email [] or by dropping them off in person at the CJS Office in Moore Hall, Room 216 .

Students who have received a CJS Travel Award within the past two years will be given lower priority. Travel must begin on or after the application deadline (Up to one year in advance). Deadlines: November 1, February 1, May 1, and August 1.


Araki Scholarship for Japanese Literary Studies aims to foster the development of Japanese literature studies at the University of Hawai‘i at Mânoa by providing financial support to qualified students who demonstrate outstanding performance and potential in the study of Japanese literature. The scholarship was established by his son Dale Araki in honor of the late Dr. James T. Araki, Professor Emeritus of Japanese Literature, in the Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures (EALL) at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM). Professor Araki was an internationally renowned specialist in Japanese literature of the medieval and early modern periods, and was a leading figure in Japanese literary studies at UHM until his retirement in 1984. To apply, go to the University of Hawaii’s STAR scholarship page, located at, then select the James T. Araki Scholarship, and fill out the online application form. Students have to have a minimum GPA of 3.0, have completed at least one JPN Lit course, and commit to taking at least one more during the tenure of the scholarship. The approximate scholarship value is $1,500.

Ehime Prefectural Summer Internship (EPIC) was initiated to foster friendship between Ehime and Hawaii. The EPIC Summer Internship sends two UHM students to Japan for a summer (80-90 days). This includes round-trip airfare, a living stipend, and housing. Applications are due in early March and are made available on the CJS website.

Fulbright Grants (Hays and Study Abroad) are primarily for academic research in Japan, but may be partly used for supplementary Japanese language study, or for an internship to supplement research. Applicants must be US citizens and PhD dissertation research candidates or graduate students enrolled in professional schools. Grants provide round trip international transportation, health and accident insurance, tuition and maintenance for one academic year. UH students must apply through UH Graduate Division. For more information and applications, contact: Graduate Division, Fellowships & Scholarships; Spalding 354D; tel: (808) 956-8113.
Deadline: early September (Study Abroad) and early October (Hays).

Graduate Assistantships are offered to graduate students through their respective departments. For more information, please consult with your department chair or advisor.

Graduate Student Organization Travel Fund. The Graduate Student Organization (GSO) of the University of Hawai’i has grants and awards to provide assistance to UH graduate students. All classified and unclassified graduate students who pay GSO fees are eligible. For more information and application forms, contact GSO at (808) 956-8776, Hemenway 212 or visit

Luce Scholars Program.   Those who already have significant experience in Asia or Asian studies are not eligible.  Candidates must be U.S. citizens who, by July 1 of the year they enter the program, will have received at least a bachelor’s degree and will not have reached their 30th birthday.  The “Luce year” begins in late June with orientation in New York and San Francisco. Luce Scholars engage in intensive language study in Asia in July and August. Placements begin in September, and conclude with a wrap-up meeting in July of the following year.  More details:

Matsuro and Tsuruko Nakasone Endowment Fund
The purpose of the Fund is to provide students, preferably graduate students, with the opportunity to travel outside of Hawai’i to engage in study or research in Okinawa-related subjects.  These students should have an academic focus or interest in Okinawan studies and have demonstrated a commitment to learning about or acquiring a deeper understanding of Okinawa, its people, culture and history.  First priority use of the Fund shall be for travel with educational purposes that are directly related to Okinawan studies, and may be used for, but not limited to:  attending conferences, presenting papers, conducting research, and participating in educational activities such as student competitions, training or special or joint projects. Second priority use of the Fund shall provide general support and aid to students, which include, but are not limited to:  scholarships (tuition, books and fees), awards, conference fees, project materials and supplies, or training directly related to Okinawan studies.


(1) Recipients must be full-time or part-time, undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in any area of study at the University of Hawai’i at Ma-noa, who have an academic focus or interest in Okinawan studies and have demonstrated a commitment to learning about or acquiring a deeper understanding of Okinawa, its people, culture and history.  Preference shall be given to graduate students.

(2) Financial need shall be a criterion in making this award, although not necessarily as defined by federal guidelines.

See the Center for Okinawan Studies for more details

Monbukagakusho Research Scholarships. The Japanese Ministry of Education offers scholarships for graduate students to conduct research at Japanese universities for terms of one and a half or two years. Applicants must be US citizens, under thirty-five years of age, in sound health, and either have sufficient Japanese-language ability to enable them to carry out their research projects or be willing to be trained in Japanese upon arrival. The scholarships provide a monthly allowance of approximately 180,000 yen (subject to change depending on budget), transportation to and from Japan, an arrival allowance and a field of study allowance, university fees and tuition, and assistance with accommodations. An orientation session is held around April for interested students. For more information, please contact Ms. Lisa Sakamoto, Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu, at 543-3111 or Dr. Gay Satsuma, Center for Japanese Studies, UHM, at 956-2664.

** Monbukagakusho Scholarship provides undergraduate students with funding for a year of study at a Japanese university. For information and applications, contact Ms. Susan Hirate; Lincoln A-1 #3; tel: (808) 956-2082. Spring competition.

** National Security Education Program (NSEP) offers undergraduate scholarships for study abroad to US citizens enrolled as a degree seeking student in an accredited US college or university. Recipients are required to fulfill a service requirement. For more information and applications, visit The coordinator for NSEP at UH is Dr. Chizuko Allen; Moore 416B; tel: (808) 956-2210. Deadline: late January.

Pacific Asian Scholarship (for graduate students) awards full or partial tuition waivers for one semester or one academic year to graduate students with high academic standing who are pursuing a well-designed course of study with a Pacific-Asian focus, or who are residents of an eligible country in the Pacific-Asian region. Applicants must be full-time students with a GPA of 3.5 or better. Students should consult with their department chair or advisor.

** Pacific Asian Scholarship (for undergraduate students) awards tuition waivers to undergraduate students with high academic standing who are pursuing a well-designed course of study or major related to the Pacific-Asian region, or who are from a Pacific-Asian jurisdiction. Applications are available from Dr. Chizuko Allen, Undergraduate and Fellowship Adviser; School of Pacific &, Asian Studies, Moore 416B; University of Hawai’i; Honolulu, HI 96822; tel: (808) 956-2210. Deadline: early March.

Robert K Sakai Award provides funding (up to $750) for advanced graduate students in Chinese, Japanese, or Korean history who require travel aid to attend a professional meeting to interview for a job, or to deliver a scholarly paper.  This award is offered on a rolling basis.

Contact: Graduate Chair, Department of History, University of Hawai’i at Manoa; tel: (808) 956-8358.

* Soshitsu Sen Scholarship The Grand Tea Master of Urasenke, Soshitsu Sen XV, offers two scholarships for the study of tea in Kyoto.  Students must have taken HIST 323 (The Way of Tea in Japanese Culture and History, cross-listed as ASAN 323) in order to apply. The scholarships are for the academic year beginning in September and ending the following July, and cover transportation to and from Kyoto, tuition, lodging, a monthly living stipend, and other related expenses.  Applications are available in the spring semester.  For information contact the Department of History, University of Hawai’i at Manoa, at (808) 956-8486. Deadline: April 1.

** The Ishi Sakurai Scholarship provides funds to full-time undergraduate students (enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours) majoring in Asian History in the Department of History at the University of Hawai’i at Manoa College of Arts & Humanities.  Applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above and must also have upper division class standing. Contact the Department of History, University of Hawai’i at Manoa; tel (808) 956-8486. Deadline: mid-May.

Misawa Honjo International Fellowship provides funds to Ph.D. and MBA students at UHM interested in studying abroad in Japan. Students must study at a Japanese university and present their acceptance letter or evidence of having applied to a university to be considered for this award. The current award amount is $7,500 per student. Interested students should contact Professor Mitsuru Misawa ( Deadline: early December.



American Association of University Women (AAUW) Graduate Fellowships and Grants. Various fellowships and grants are awarded to graduate women For more information, visit

** Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship. Up to $5000 award for an undergraduate student (US citizen who is currently receiving Pell Grant funding) to study overseas.  For more information and applications, visit Deadline: April and October.

Blakemore Foundation Language Grant is awarded each year for the advanced study of modern Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Southeast Asian languages. Blakemore grants are intended for individuals successfully pursuing careers involving Asia who find that language study abroad at an advanced level is essential to realize their goals. The grants fund a year of language study at an institution in Asia selected by the applicant and approved by the Foundation. An example of an approved program is the Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies in Yokohama. Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents of the US. The grants cover tuition and related educational expenses, basic living costs and transportation. Information and application forms are on the website at: http://www.blakemorefoundation.orgDeadline: December 30.


** Bridging Scholarships for Study Abroad in Japan are available to American undergraduate students participating in study-abroad programs in Japan. Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents and be enrolled in a college or university in the United States. Bridging scholarship recipients receive a stipend of $2,500 (for student on semester-long programs) or $4,000 (for students on academic year programs. For more information, visit Deadline: early April and early October.

Crown Prince Akihito Scholarships are for one or two years (renewable after first year) of study in Japan and provide $30,000 (+ $15,000 COLA and tuition supplement) annually. Two scholarships are usually awarded each year to graduate students (US citizenship required) enrolled at UHM who are studying in a subject area leading to better understanding and relations between Japan and the United States. Familiarity with and knowledge of Japanese culture and language are helpful. Applications are usually available at the beginning of September from the Center for Japanese Studies, Moore 216; tel: (808) 956-2665. Information can also be found at Deadline: late October.

East-West Center Graduate Degree Fellowships are available to individuals interested in participating in the educational and research programs of the East-West Center while pursuing graduate degree study at the University of Hawai’i. Citizens and permanent residents of the United States and citizens of countries in the Pacific and Asia are eligible. Provisions may include dormitory housing, monthly stipend, tuition and fees, allowance for books, and health insurance. Fellowships are granted on an annual basis but may be renewed to the allowed maximum grant time. Contact: East-West Center Award Services Office; 1601 East-West Rd.; Honolulu, HI 96848-1601; tel: (808) 944-7735; fax: (808) 944-7730. Information can also be found at Deadline: November.

Founder Region Fellowship (a foundation within Founder Region, Soroptimist International) offers financial grants totaling up to $20,000 to women in the last year of their doctoral degree. Applicants must be citizens of a country in which there are Soroptimist Clubs and must be attending a university within the boundary of Founder Region which includes the state of Hawai’i. For information and applications visit Deadline: February 1.

** Freeman Awards for Study in Asia (Freeman-ASIA) is designed to increase the number of American undergraduates who study in East and Southeast Asia. Awards range from $3,000 to $7,000 depending on the length of the program. Students must demonstrate financial need in order to participate in the Freeman-Asia program. Priority will be given to students with no previous experience in Asia. As a condition of the award, upon their return to the US, students must agree to promote study in Asia by sharing their experiences with peers on their home campuses and in their communities. For more information and applications, see website:

Japan Foundation Japanese Studies Fellowship Program is intended to provide doctoral candidates in social sciences and humanities with an opportunity to conduct dissertation research in Japan ranging from four to twelve months. Candidates should be US citizens or permanent residents. Applicants must be at the ABD (all-but-dissertation) level and have sufficient proficiency in Japanese to pursue their research in Japan. Doctoral fellows receive 310,000 yen per month in addition to other allowances. For information and applications, contact The Japan Foundation Los Angeles Office at; tel: (213) 621-2267; fax: (213) 621-2590. To download the application materials, visit the website at Deadline: November 1.

Japanese-Language Programs for Specialists are offered at the Japan Foundation Japanese-Language Institute, Kansai. In these programs, people who need Japanese-language ability for their particular vocational or academic purpose are invited from abroad to the Institute, for training in the Japanese language under curriculums specifically designed for each different vocational or academic specialty. Among these programs, the following three kinds of programs are open to applications: Japanese-Language program for librarians; Japanese-Language program for researchers; and Japanese-Language program for postgraduate students. The grant covers study materials, tuition, living expenses (meals and miscellaneous items), and accommodations. For information and applications, contact The Japan Foundation Los Angeles Office (see above for telephone, fax, and email). For more information and application materials, visit the website at Deadline: December 1.

* National Security Education Program (NSEP) David L. Boren Fellowships encourage US undergraduate and graduate students to add an international dimension to their curricula. Students already enrolled in internationally oriented programs are encouraged to intensify their study of areas, languages, and cultures. An award recipient is expected to work in the Departments of Defense, Homeland Security, State, or the Intelligence Community. Applications are available on the NSEP website at Deadline: January for graduate students and February for undergraduate students.

Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation offers the following fellowships:

  • Charlotte W. Newcombe Dissertation Fellowships for PhD candidates writing on topics of religious and ethical values in all fields of the humanities and social sciences. Recipients receive $19,000 for 12 months of full-time dissertation writing. Deadline: early November.
  • Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship in Women’s Studies for PhD candidates writing their dissertations on a topic concerning women. Recipients receive $3,000. Deadline: early November

For more information and applications, visit