The University of Hawaiʻi will continue to adapt its COVID-19 guidelines for the 10-campus system in the coming weeks to reflect the most up-to-date state and federal recommendations, as more people are vaccinated and reported cases decline. The UH community will be notified when significant updates are made to the UH COVID-19 guidelines and web pages. Mahalo for your patience.
Please note: the Guidelines are interim only and are subject to revision, until we can complete consultation with stakeholders.
Campuses should follow the Guidance for Campuses on Scheduling Spring 2021 Courses issued by the Office of the Vice President for Academic Planning and Policy.
- Students should have as much opportunity as is practicable to learn in person with other students and faculty.
- Classes will be scheduled online, in-person, or with a hybrid mix of the two. For a technical description of the formats campuses will use to schedule classes, please see the Course Format for Spring 2021. Each campus will inform students about changes to the format or schedule of courses for which they have registered and ensure this information is available to students making decisions about their schedules.
- Decisions about which classes will be scheduled with an in-person format will be made at the campus level and will take into consideration factors such as quality of instruction, accreditation or licensure requirements, specialized resource needs, and the needs of particular student populations.
- Campuses are responsible for ensuring that classes and class activities (e.g., exams, office hours, etc.) are accessible to students, and that students can achieve the same learning objectives regardless of the class format.
- In person classes will meet in facilities that meet the guidelines for Facilities and Spaces. Select instruction may also take place outside when appropriate.
- Campuses will develop schedules and protocols for cleaning specialized equipment used in laboratory or studio classes.
- Instructors will ensure students receive appropriate preparation and guidance regarding health and safety protocols for activities such as team projects, field trips, internships or clinical placements.
Last modified: May 26, 2021