There are a number of great resources at UH and online that can help you through your journey of learning English at UH. Here are some of them.
UH Campus Resources
- The Writing Center: Sign up online to have a one-on-one appointment with a writing tutor. Bring your assignment and whatever you have written so far, and trained tutors will help you improve your paper.
- The Learning Assistance Center: Free tutoring!
- Student Success Center: Located at Sinclair Library, this center can help you with your study needs.
- International Student Services: Lots of good information about what you need to know as an international student at UH.
- ReadLang: you can download ReadLang to your web browser and read anything on the internet with a built-in bilingual dictionary. You can also create flashcards from the words that you look up.
- Vocabulary.com: play a vocabulary challenge game using your own word list or words generated by the program.
- Quizlet.com: make an online deck of flashcards and study anything you want.
- FreeRice.com: play an online vocabulary game that donates food to the hungry as you play.]
- Purdue’s Online Writing Lab (OWL): this website has an amazing amount of information about academic writing, and it’s especially useful when you’re learning how to use academic citations in your papers.
- The Academic Word List: this is a list of words that come up frequently in English academic writing.
- The ELI Student Handbook (archive): if you’re interested in learning more about the ELI, or what to do in case you run into any trouble, check out this resource. Some of it is a little out of date, but it has some great resources.