Student-, Faculty- and Staff-Related Information:
June 16 Maintaining healthy relationships during the pandemic
There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19. The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. In addition, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends everyday actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases. These include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, clean your hands with hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow or use a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Get a flu shot. (While it won’t protect against COVID-19, it may help in diagnosis should you display symptoms.)
- Follow the CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask. Wear a cloth face cover when you have to go out in public, for example to the grocery store or to pick up other necessities.
March 7: Practical tips to protect yourself
Support and Intervention
Everyone’s struggle is different. If you or someone you know are experiencing distress or a painful emotion and need support, here is a list of contacts:
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (NSPL) – 24/7 crisis line 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Crisis Text Line – 24/7 crisis line text “Aloha” or “Start” to 741741 – if you prefer texting over talking or are deaf or hard of hearing
- Hawaii CARES (formerly Crisis Line of Hawaiʻi) – On Oʻahu (808) 832-3100; Toll free for neighbor islands 1-800-753-6879
Coping with Stress During a Pandemic
Fear and anxiety may increase stress during this time. The CDC website offers ways to cope with these challenging times.