Other Financial Resources

Receiving Other Resources

If you receive any other form of financial assistance in addition to those shown on your Award Offer (e.g., Kamehameha/Hawaiʻi Community Foundation/UH Foundation scholarships, University department tuition waivers, Stipends, Fellowships, Resident Advisor Stipends, etc.), you must notify FAS immediately. As required by federal regulations, an adjustment to your award(s) may be necessary to reflect the increase of your resources. Failure to notify FAS may delay your financial aid disbursement and/or may require you to repay the university.

Per Federal regulations, a student's financial aid (grants, work-study, loans) and scholarships/resources cannot exceed the Cost of Attendance (Cost of Attendance includes Tuition and Fees, Room and Board, Books and Supplies, Personal Expense, and Transportation.)

Address to Mail a Scholarship Check & Information

Private donor scholarship checks may be dropped off in person to Financial Aid Services by the
student or mailed to:

University of Hawaiʻi at Manoa
Financial Aid Services
2600 Campus Road, QLCSS 112
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822

Follow these instructions:

  • If the check is made out to the University of Hawaiʻi: bring it to Financial Aid Services or
    send it to the address above.
  • If the check is made co-payable to you and the University of Hawaiʻi: endorse the check
    at Financial Aid Services (please bring photo identification). If you are unable to endorse
    the check at Financial Aid Services, you will be contacted by our Cashier’s Office staff
    and the endorsement must occur at the Cashier’s Office (photo identification must also be
  • Similarly, if the check is made payable to you only but mailed directly to UH Manoa
    without endorsement: it will be processed first by Financial Aid Services, and the
    Cashier’s Office will notify you when the check is ready to be endorsed.


  • Unless otherwise noted by the scholarship provider, it is presumed that a student must be
    enrolled full-time (as defined for Financial Aid purposes) in order to be eligible to receive the
    scholarship monies.
  • Scholarship monies can only be applied to one semester, unless the scholarship provider has
    supplied the University of Hawaiʻi at Manoa with explicit instructions that the monies should be
    divided between multiple semesters.
  • If no academic term is given by the scholarship donor, the funds will be applied to the current
    academic term.
  • Once a scholarship award is disbursed, it is the student’s responsibility to contact their
    scholarship organization (in the event that they change their enrollment) to determine the
    student’s continued eligibility for the monies.


An "overaward" situation may result if funds have already been disbursed. This may happen when the following occurs (some examples):

  1. You receive additional resources (if not already accounted for in original award offer)
  2. Your residency status changes
  3. Your living situation changes
  4. Your enrollment is below full time at University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa (12 credits for undergraduates, 8 credits for graduates, 12 or more credits for professional students)
  5. Verification information changes your expected family contribution (EFC)
  6. Enrollment in a course that does not charge tuition

Repayment may be required and/or adjustments may be made to other types of aid and/or future disbursements within the academic year.