Tax Workshops for International Students and Scholars

It's time to get ready to file U.S. federal and State of Hawai'i tax forms for the 2017 tax year. If you received a salary or stipend payments from the University of Hawai'i in 2017, you will be sent the following statements from the UH fiscal offices:

  • For Salary: If you earned a salary from the University, you should have received Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement by January 31st or soon thereafter. The Form W-2 is used in the U.S. income tax system to report wages paid to employees and the taxes withheld from them.
  • For Stipend: If you received a stipend from the University, you should receive a Form 1042-S by March 15th.  The Form 1042-S reports the amount of stipend payments paid to non-employees, such as postdoctoral fellows, and taxes withheld from them. If you don't receive a 1042-S within a week after March 15th, please send your mailing address to UH Disbursing by email to

Federal Income Tax

March 21, 2018 (Wednesday) at 2:00-3:30 PM, Kuykendall 201
RSVP (required) to Kathy Todoki (

State Income Tax

March 22, 2018 (Thursday) at 2:00-3:30 PM, Kuykendall 201
RSVP (required) to Kathy Todoki ( by March 1

***Seating is limited for both sessions. If you do not get a seat, the workshop will be recorded and available to view from the Faculty and Scholars Immigration (FSIS) website for a limited time.

Hardcopy tax forms and booklets may be picked up outside of Physical Science Building 104 starting on March 5. Forms may also be downloaded online from the links listed below. Students should also bring their income and wage statements, such as the form W-2, form 1042-S, and/or form 1099.

These workshops are sponsored by Faculty and Scholars Immigration Service (FSIS) and International Student Services (ISS), in cooperation with the UH Tax Office.

Posted in Events, News, Workshops.