Notice: macOS 11 (Big Sur) advisory (Sep 22 07:17 am)
Apple is expected to release macOS 11 (Big Sur) by the end of September or beginning of October. At this time, ITS strongly recommends against upgrading to macOS 11 (Big Sur).
macOS Big Sur is a major update to the macOS operating system, taking it from version 10 to version 11. As has been experienced with previous major updates, there is a possibility that applications, especially older applications, may not be immediately compatible upon release of Big Sur.
Until Big Sur is released, ITS will not be able to fully test to see which applications are not compatible. This notice will be updated as more information becomes available.
To prevent your macOS from updating to Big Sur automatically, please do the following:
1. Go to the Apple menu and select "System Preferences"
2. Click on the "Software Update" icon
3. Make sure the box for "Automatically keep my Mac up to date" is unchecked
4. Click on the "Advanced" button
5. Uncheck the box for "Install macOS updates"
6. If desired, also uncheck the box for "Download new updates when available"
7. Click "OK"
8. Close the Software Update window
In general, ITS recommends against immediately upgrading to the latest version of any operating system when it is first released due to the possible compatibility issues.