Notice: Google Chat will replace classic Hangouts in Google@UH Gmail (Jul 13 02:10 pm)
On August 16, 2021 Google Chat will replace classic Hangouts as the chat function in Google@UH Gmail as part of Google’s plan to deprecate classic Hangouts.
Google Chat features:
- 1:1 and group direct messaging
- Persistent ‘Rooms’ for collaboration
- The ability to edit or delete your messages
- The ability to forward messages to Gmail inbox
- Bot integrations
- Emoji reactions
How does this affect you?
If you use the Hangouts feature in Gmail on the web, you’ll automatically get the new Google Chat experience. Most 1:1 and group conversations from classic Hangouts will migrate to the new Google Chat. In some rare cases, you may be directed to classic Hangouts to view an old message or resource.
If you use the Hangouts app on your device, you’ll be prompted to switch to ‘Google Chat’ or ‘Gmail’. You can also download the standalone Google Chat app for desktop or mobile at https://chat.google.com/download/.
For more information about Google Chat please refer to:
- Get started with Google Chat
- About rooms and group conversations
- Switching to Chat from classic Hangouts.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at (808) 956-8883, toll-free at (800) 558-2669, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.